Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bride to be....UPDATE

Bride to be....UPDATE

Hi guys. I don't think anyone here knows but I have a 21 year old daughter and she informed me this weekend that she will be getting married in May. We are pretty close even though she lives in Fla and talk and email often. Delima: I would like to make her a nice wedding gift in the new shop and I am at odds with what would be a nice wedding gift for her and her new husband. anybody been in the same situation
    Reg
    Last edited by Reg Mitchell; 10-22-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Updated
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Maybe some sort of chest to keep the momentos from her wedding?

I have just been thru this myself (actually 2 years in a row). Some things that come to mind are: a piece of furniture that they can use in their first condo, house, appartment or whatever; picture frames for their wedding picture; an album for their wedding picture, decoration for the head table at the wedding, maybe a podium or kneeler for the church where they get married that is then donated to the church.

Or how about candlesticks for the altar or head table at the reception?

You are only limited by your imagination and skill level.
    Wood'N'Scout

How about a curio cabinet for those special keepsakes.
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

I think something that would be a family heirloom would be great and I have to agree with Rob, a chest of some type would be nice or maybe something simpler and smaller like a nice box to hold some wedding momentos, a bible or something like that.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    Hi guys. I don't think anyone here knows but I have a 21 year old daughter and she informed me this weekend that she will be getting married in May. We are pretty close even though she lives in Fla and talk and email often. Delima: I would like to make her a nice wedding gift in the new shop and I am at odds with what would be a nice wedding gift for her and her new husband. anybody been in the same situation
    Reg
    Make them a house! Not many newlyweds that wouldn't love to get a house!

Short of that, how about a nice chest, or a rocking chair, something they could keep for a long time.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Hi, Reg,
    I have made, Curio cabinets, Blanket chests, Hutches, Tables, Desks and several copies of old family furniture.
    for the special ladies in our family. The past few years I always ask first what they would like. I'm concerned about taking up space in thier homes. Works out very well.

Good luck ,Earl

Reg I vote for the chest. I made my neice one and it went over very well. She has a special spot for it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For both of my brothers who are married and for myself and my wife, my parents gave us a piece of furniture. My first brother to get married, then my wife and I chose a piece of furniture to buy. When another brother got married this past year, he designed a piece of furniture, my parents paid for the materials, and I made it. Not that I'm biased or anything, but I think they have the most special piece because they got exactly what they wanted. So I suggest that you involve your daughter before presenting the gift.

A bed. I really enjoy building them and you can make matching bedroom furniture later as more gifts are needed.

yup i am there now too:)

in the past i asked the daughters for there input, definatly the way to go. both parties involved can have a say that way, the first one picked a bed and i got a extension on the time frame, you dont want to push your work out the door. the second one wanted a buffet. so ask her what she would like and if the time span is too short for completion, ask for delay in the delivery..and like the others have said. you can add to it in time to come for other occassions.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I second Larry's thought. Whatever you make will be very nice, without a doubt. But, if it doesn't fit their lifestyle or needs then it becomes cumbersome and annoying despite its quality.
    Matt

Blog Entries
    For a challenge to your woodworking skills try making a clock! It will get rave reviews by the wedding couple and the in laws! I made one for a couple we know that recently married and they have really enjoyed it. Check out the link, there is a photo there.

Wedding Clock
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My daughter's wedding is in May. I plan to make a classic shaker style end table, single drawer, tapered legs. I will probably use walnut even though that is not a classic shaker wood.

I think any young couple would appreciate this piece of furniture and be able to use it some where in their first common dewelling.
    Bartee Lamar

Reg,

On second thought, make them a nice bed. Not only is that fitting for newlyweds, it is where a family is typically started!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/