Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left Handed Bench

Another lefty here. I built my bench left handed...leg vise on the right. The only time it’s challenging is when using right handed tools (plough planes, rabbet planes, etc., as already posted above). You can get pretty creative with battons, hold downs, etc., to keep work from moving when using right handed “only” tools.

However, I have been contemplating an end vise on the left side aligned with the back edge with dog holes along the back edge. This would allow me to use right handed tools more easily. Even if you decide not to add a vise on the left side, plan for it anyway. In otherwords, leave enough overhand to allow for a vice of some kind in case you want it someday.

I remember it well, the moment I stepped through the door of Leif Karlsson's workshop and saw my workbench which he had completed. After being subjected to right-hand workbenches for so long the sight of it gave me such a feeling of release, it was like coming home.P1000534.jpgP1000481.jpgP1000633.jpg
    Perhaps a visualization helps, it did it for me.
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 01-20-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well, I write left handed. I do everything else right handed.
    I am somewhat amidexterous.

I built myself a new bench, I like to work on all sides of my bench. You can look it up if you do a search. I am left handed also but live in a right handed world. Anyway I built one side right handed and the other side left handed and now have the best of both worlds.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    I built myself a new bench, I like to work on all sides of my bench. You can look it up if you do a search. I am left handed also but live in a right handed world. Anyway I built one side right handed and the other side left handed and now have the best of both worlds.
    Honestly, I think that's a great idea, no matter what one's "handedness" inclination is...there are any number of operations where a vice and its clamping action could be useful on an alternative side. And sometimes it makes for better options in a space constrained shop. I only have a vice on one side, but there have been times when I wished for it to be on the other side just to be more accommodating to the job at hand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...