Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Handed Bench

Left Handed Bench

Here is a weird question I was thinking of. I'm gonna be building a new bench in the future and I am left handed. I plan on putting on an L-shaped tail vise and was wondering if anyone out there that is left handed where they located the tail vise? On the left end or the right? I currently have a right end (looking from the front) tail vise and was wondering if planing is really that much easier if I went the other way. Yeah, I know I can try it out, which I plan to do, but was just asking anyways.

The only thing I can think about this really making a difference on is that when planing and having something clamped in the tail vise is that is that I push the plane away from the center of the bench (since I still plane left handed on a right end tail vise). If the vise was mounted on the left end then I would be pushing towards the center of the bench. Maybe there would be less racking and shifting in the bench?

Anyone want to laugh at me on this one? Go ahead, I know I am.

Don't think anyone is laughing as this is an entirely appropriate question. A lot of south paws plane right handed because that is the way benches are set up and that is the way they learned or forced themselves to learn.

To me, a tail vise is of limited use, but that is probably just my method of work, but, regardless of that, if you plane left handed you would benefit from switching the traditional placement of the tail vise, front vise, and any other aids such as planing stops to the opposite ends from their right handed normal configuration.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

To add to what Jerry said, the layout of your room may or may not determine how you setup your bench also. I know it is having some effect for me in the space that I'll use.

Having a face vise on the proper side is certainly a must, so I'm right handed and would want a face vise on the left, you would want one on the right. This doesn't mean you can't use the other side, just that for convenience and the way right or left handed people plane, makes a big difference where one puts the vise.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Another Thought

I have always found myself (I am a lefty) having problems when I am sawing using the face vise. I saw with my left hand and the offcut is to the left of my left hand. I always have to reach around.

The tail vise isn't as much an issue for me a the face vise. I would really like to have it to the right side of the table. I have considered opposing face vises on a traditionally laid out table which would help the problem.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, glad some one brought it up. That's my couple of pennies,

HB

I'm left handed but plane mostly with my right... right handers rule the world as uno, and everythings back to front for us.

Some planes you have no choice but to use right handed....primarily planes with depth stops and fences.

Are you a strong left hander ? If you are I can see how it may be a problem.... I've noticed that left handers are really better described as ambidexious than left handed....few of us seem entirely relient on using just the left hand..

I've got to the point where I've given up struggling to try and make a tool work left handed.... Feel using both hands lends to your skills anyway.

Having said that I'm annoyed with circular saws.....there definetly designed for right handers. I'm forever picking them up with my left only to switch to my right...the weight distributed, and the sole and that little button is all right handed stuff. too awkward in the left. But thats just me.

Interesting discussion. I grew up on the farm and my father made sure that I was ambidexterous. There are too many situations where it is necessary to use your left hand even though you are right handed. It just takes practice.

DK

I'm right handed and my bench is set up that way, but one of the beautiful things about building your own bench is that you can make it work specifically for your own needs. 'Suggest you take a piece of scrap plywood and mock up a bench surface and then take some time to envision how you would use your tools. Put a plane in your hand and "pretend" to work. Same with your saws. That will help you determine the best setup for your needs and your space.

I could actually see value in two face vises occasionally...one on either end/side. Despite being right-handed, I will often work the other way if it is convenient. Maybe someday...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am left handed and when I built my first bench a couple of years ago I did not even think about making it left handed untill it was too late. Using that bench I decided that I would like a left handed version better. I do everything left handed. This summer I built a left hand version of the Roubo bench from Woodworking Magazine. I haven't used it much (just finished it middle of September) but so far I am very happy with it. I think that it will be much eaiser for me to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Darvall
    . I've noticed that left handers are really better described as ambidexious than left handed....few of us seem entirely relient on using just the left hand..

Having said that I'm annoyed with circular saws.....there definetly designed for right handers. I'm forever picking them up with my left only to switch to my right...the weight distributed, and the sole and that little button is all right handed stuff. too awkward in the left. But thats just me.
    I am also left dominant, although having mostly right handers for ANY help. I wish someone came up with a quick release/relocate vise system. I am still tempted to make my bench in the center of the shop (have to be mobile due to table saw), and make it one side left, the other right. Quite honestly, writing is the only thing I don't do with both hands, and that is just because I didn't keep up with it. (dad made us try to swap hands after brother chased me as a kid, and fell and broke his arm).
    As for the circular saws, I have two lefties (one a mag) and two righties. You just tend to have to order the lefties online, unless you get a worm drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I am also left dominant, although having mostly right handers for ANY help. I wish someone came up with a quick release/relocate vise system. I am still tempted to make my bench in the center of the shop (have to be mobile due to table saw), and make it one side left, the other right. Quite honestly, writing is the only thing I don't do with both hands, and that is just because I didn't keep up with it. (dad made us try to swap hands after brother chased me as a kid, and fell and broke his arm).
    As for the circular saws, I have two lefties (one a mag) and two righties. You just tend to have to order the lefties online, unless you get a worm drive.
    Also a leftie here but have my built-in vise at the left of the bench. I tend to use planing stops more often than not when handplaning so I use the opposite side of the bench (no vises). Built a Moxon vise in the past few days and this could be a temporary, partial solution to having a relocatable vise. It is intended to be portable, held down with 2 holdfasts and I can move it anywhere I please. So far enjoying it, as the height of the workpiece is also elevated. Just another option...

Norman

Being very lefty, I built my last bench with the face vise to the right end. I don't have or use a tail vise and am perfectly happy with dog holes, wedges, stops, and a Veritas wonder pup. I used a righty bench for over 30 years and when it became time I decided to make life easier on myself. It was the absolute correct decision.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'm also a "strong" left-hander, so I designed my Roubo with the leg vise and planing stop on the right side of the bench. Couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_0455.jpg

For me the big argument for reversing the vises from "normal" is that, when planing the edge of a board held in the face vise, you want to plane toward the vise, because it will reduce chatter.

Blog Entries
    I am a south paw, but as some others above, I plane mostly right-handed. I also saw, hammer, and drill that way by default. I believe all lefties have become ambidextrous by nescessity. It seems you are saying that you hold the plane in your left hand by nature, so in that case, I would put the leg vise on the right side of the bench so that you are planing towards it.

Being "both-handed" is great when chiseling. If there is a difficult curve or angle, I can switch hands and get it from the other side without turning the piece. It also works great in art. When my left hand tires, I switch hands and keep going.

I'm mostly righty but pretty much ambidextrous. I cut right handed with power saws mostly. I hate right handed power saws. They feel all wrong and just love to spray sawdust In my face. Worm drive saws or an old porter cable "lefty" are my friends.

in softball in grade school I would bat righty or lefty about equally. Switching while batting would drive the opposing team's outfield crazy. That made me laugh!

anyway, what about lefty threads on the vise? Do they even make them? I know left handed acme threads are easily to get so making your own lefty vise would be doable. Would it matter much to real lefties?

just a thought.

c