Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switchable 220 volt Power Strip.

Question Switchable 220 volt Power Strip.

Switchable 220 volt Power Strip.

.... Is there available a power strip (or one I can build) that I can plug in three or more 220 volt plugs but either push a button or throw a switch to turn just ONE plug ON at a time?

Thanks

Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I think you would have to build that yourself. You could get some proper receptacles, some 2 pole heavy duty switches and a suitable enclosure.

If you're looking for a "240v power strip" with switching to turn on individual outlets, that's something you'd have to build.

Question - do you want it wired such that 1 and only 1 outlet can be hot at a time?

....The answer to your question Rob, is YES.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    If you're looking for a "240v power strip" with switching to turn on individual outlets, that's something you'd have to build.

Question - do you want it wired such that 1 and only 1 outlet can be hot at a time?

Sure, I have a bunch of 240v powerstrips I bought in Saudi, work great. However the plugs and recepticals aren't used over here (would work in Holland though). You will want to make your own.

.... Hi Steven, Thanks for the interest. Would you have a couple of pics to get some idea how they have approached the problem. Perhaps the plugs can be swapped out?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    Sure, I have a bunch of 240v powerstrips I bought in Saudi, work great. However the plugs and recepticals aren't used over here (would work in Holland though). You will want to make your own.

You can buy 220 volt, 20 amp duplex recpt, but not at the home centers. Be prepared for "sticker shock" as they aren't cheap.

Boyd,

I think that the strips Steven is talking about are just straight powerstrips, with no switching as you want. 120v service is standard to the USA, but in many parts of the world 240v is the standard voltage (some 50 Hz, some 60 Hz).

To build what you want is a little complicated. I'd do it with contactors and push button switches. That would give you automatic reset in the event of a power outage.

You'd have a set of Start/Stop or On/Off push button switches. Push a start/on button and the corresponding outlet gets power. You could even wire in an indicator light to show that the outlet was powered. Once you'd powered up an outlet, you couldn't power up any more until you stop the first one.

You'd need a pair of push buttons for each outlet plus a contactor with a Normally Closed auxillary contact in addition to the normal Normally Open holding contact. You'd end up wiring all this in decent sized box - this wouldn't be the size of a normal power strip.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn
    You can buy 220 volt, 20 amp duplex recpt, but not at the home centers. Be prepared for "sticker shock" as they aren't cheap.
    I bought one at my Home Depot; but you are correct...it wasn't cheap.....somewhere between $10 and $15 as I recall??

Bite my tongue!!! The receptacle I purchased is NOT a duplex. It only accepts a single plug. Sorry,
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 10-06-2006 at 4:32 AM.

10. We have them here in Japan, I've even seen the three phase power strips where with switches, talk about expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    Is there available a power strip (or one I can build) that I can plug in three or more 220 volt plugs but either push a button or throw a switch to turn just ONE plug ON at a time?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, one way to acomplish this would be with three receptacles, each controlled by a contactor (i.e., relay), and a rotary selector switch that would energize one contactor at a time. Note that all the components would have to be housed in an enclosure that will end up being quite a bit bigger than the usual "power strip."

This would not be a difficult project, but it's not an quick-and-easy, off-the-shelf solution, either. It would help to know what your intended use is, because there may be a simpler solution that no one has thought of yet. Also, what kind of amp loads are you talking about? That could make a big difference in the cost of components.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    ... one way to acomplish this would be with three receptacles, each controlled by a contactor (i.e., relay), and a rotary selector switch that would energize one contactor at a time.
    Kent,

A rotary switch is a simpler and more elegant way to control which contactor is energized than my push button scheme.

Good suggestion. The only thing it lacks is power drop protection, but that's not likely a big deal.

Rob

Arrow

....Hello Stu, I and I am sure others here on the forum would like to see a pic or two if you could manage it. This would give us some idea of how other people in other parts of the world have handled it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    We have them here in Japan, I've even seen the three phase power strips where with switches, talk about expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    A rotary switch is a simpler and more elegant way to control which contactor is energized than my push button scheme.

Good suggestion. The only thing it lacks is power drop protection, but that's not likely a big deal.
    Somehow I missed your message before posting mine. Sorry about the partial duplication.

Actually, I like your pushbutton idea, but I'm struggling with the mental schematic. Wouldn't each contactor need two extra N.C. contacts in order to lock out the other two start circuits? Maybe I'm missing something.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    ....Hello Stu, I and I am sure others here on the forum would like to see a pic or two if you could manage it. This would give us some idea of how other people in other parts of the world have handled it.

Thanks
    Boyd, next time I head to Joyful Honda, my DIY store, I'll try to snap a pic or two.

Cheers!