Thread: Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning by Raffan

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning by Raffan

Pete suggested books written by Raffan and I found this one while at my local BN this evening. I took a few minutes to page through it and it appears to have a wealth of information including a lot of basic instruction. Can anybody offer some insight on whether this is a good buy?

Aaron I bought it and I use it all the time. I really like it and if you read it all there is a truck load of info in it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the input Bernie. Would it be correct to say that this is more of a "general overview" type book and that I would also benefit from picking up his books on more specific topics for full and proper instruction...like for making bowls for example...or would this be redundant?

I bought the package...Turning Wood, Turning Bowls and Turning Boxes.

I highly recommend those. It will take you years before you outgrow those reference books.
    Dario

Aaron I would also like Dario get the books and video's Turning Boxes and Turning Bowls for sure. I buy the video's along with the books. I can learn more sometimes by watching than reading. I would for bowls get Bill Grumbines DVD. He takes you from sawing the log to the completed bowl. Excellent DVD. I also like the video by Mike Mahoney. He takes you thru bowl turning and also turning a plate or platter.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.