Thread: Found a lathe and wood questions...

Found a lathe and wood questions...

Well I happened to mention to my grandfather today that I wanted to get into turning wood and that I was looking for a used lathe. His response was "Well you don't need to buy one I've got one in my shop you can use!" So he and I wandered back there and sure enough he has an old Craftsman wood lathe. Its from the late 60's early 70's and has an external motor with a moveable belt for speed control. I estimate its about 40" between centers and about 8 inches between the center of the lathe and the bed. He has all the tools and gagets to go along with it as well. Its quite old but I figure its a start at the very least and I am sure he can show me a thing or two. That said....

I'm on the lookout for wood. As I've seen posted on the board here its best to start practicing with whatever I can find and since I live in MI we have plenty around. Should I be looking for fresh cut wood or is raiding the firewood pile just as good? If I do find some fresh cut how does one preserve it and keep it wet?

Thanks!

AB

Great news on the lathe but if ya don't know it without pictures it didn't happen. That said. For now just raid the firewood pile chuck up a fiece and turn a bonker.

In term of green wood, get some Anchorseal or one of the like products from Woodcraft or Rocklers (called green wood sealer) and coat the ends.

Congrats on the lathe that you don't have and post some pictures..

Let me suggest that if you have access to a chainsaw get permission from someone with a wooded acreage to check out any dead or fallen trees. You can really find some good stuff many times. Some can be too far gone as well so check carefully. Great gloat and Happy Spinning.
    I'm with Don as well Pics are everything.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Bill Grumbine has info on his site as to what to do with green wood to get it ready for turning. Firewood would be alright for practice, but frequently it's badly cracked. Be careful spinning cracked wood, and allways wear a face sheild.
    Have Fun!

Thanks guys, I'll get some wood to tinker with and take some pictures of the lathe when I go over to design my first bonker. The hard part will be explaining to my grandfather what a forum is and how I can put a picture on it for other people to see. =)

Aaron,

Where are you in Michigan?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Pete,

I live near Grand Rapids MI which isn't too far from you actually.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Buys
    Pete,

I live near Grand Rapids MI which isn't too far from you actually.

AB
    You are welcome to come visit and I will share what little knowledge I have and my setup which is a major work in progress. I have extra wood you can have.
    PM me for details.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    You are welcome to come visit and I will share what little knowledge I have and my setup which is a major work in progress. I have extra wood you can have.
    PM me for details.
    Aaron you gotta watch Pete. He does have (little) knowledge.

Seriously Aaron take him up on it. Pete is a good guy and can get you started.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Aaron,

Here is an interesting article I found on Tom Hintz's website. Plenty else there for you to learn from as well.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/turnfirewood.html

Have fun!

Mark