Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LN's 4.5 Limited Edition

well, I'm tempted, but I'm also cheap....
    any idea just how good an investment it'll be?
    and do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.

I've heard stories and don't know if they're true about old T birds or early 'vettes bricked in to a garage 40 years ago with little or no mileage on them. Steve, what kind of time frame are you thinking of?

Ken

Looks like it might already be a good investment. There is one for sale on eBay at the moment (No. 24) that still has just over 5 hours left to go and its already been bid up to $436.12.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Regards,
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner
    do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.
    I 'spose some might worry about that, but it's a new tool. Get it, use it, and wear it out, if nothing else it will make you a better woodworker. If you want collectables, go find mint planes that are already collectable, IMO, and you won't have to wait. If you want to collect, buy collectables.

Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

"Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less".

Not so sure of that Alan. This is a Limited Edition and that is the basis for a collectable (supply verses demand). I suspect that this #4 1/2 will become another LN bronze #9, which ceased production (moving to an iron version) because it was difficult to manufacture. What does a bronze #9 go for these days? I don't know but I'm sure it is several times its original price.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen
    "Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less".

Not so sure of that Alan. This is a Limited Edition and that is the basis for a collectable (supply verses demand). I suspect that this #4 1/2 will become another LN bronze #9, which ceased production (moving to an iron version) because it was difficult to manufacture. What does a bronze #9 go for these days? I don't know but I'm sure it is several times its original price.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I'm certainly one to encourage folks to buy tools, but it's kinda funny seeing folks that would spend $400 on a hand plane and ponder wether they'll use it.

Maybe I'll be able to pick one up at an estate sale cheap where the family sells off tools for pennies on the dollar.

I'd rather find one that hasn't been used if possible.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 10-07-2006 at 4:57 AM.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

The one on eBay ended up going for $506.11.
    Regards,
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner
    well, I'm tempted, but I'm also cheap....
    any idea just how good an investment it'll be?
    and do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.

I've heard stories and don't know if they're true about old T birds or early 'vettes bricked in to a garage 40 years ago with little or no mileage on them. Steve, what kind of time frame are you thinking of?

Ken

Leaving it in the bag, untouched is the current plan.
    That may change. Hopefully not.
    I have no real way to predict whether it will return a good investment one of these days. I would like say for sure it will.
    I have plenty of other planes to use.
    Buying it was a spur of the moment thing. I haven't regretted ordering it so far.
    Steve

Finally got around to unpacking my planes.

#351 shown smoothing a chunk of walnut. Blade is untouched. Straight out of the box.
    #377 and #388 still sealed in the bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is my new LN #4.5. This is my first LN bench plane and it works so much better than my best Bedrocks.
    I guess the thicker blades helps a little.

Steve, what are your plans for 377 and 388?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Corvin Alstot; 01-07-2007 at 3:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot
    Here is my new LN #4.5. This is my first LN bench plane and it works so much better than my best Bedrocks.
    I guess the thicker blades helps a little.

Steve, what are your plans for 377 and 388?
    Not sure Corvin. Just gonna stow them for now