Thread: Can you legally spray lacquer in your town?

Can you legally spray lacquer in your town?

In greater San Francisco we have such bad air quality that laws have been passed which outlaw spraying solvent-borne finishes unless you have a finishing room certified to collect the smog-causing vapors. I believe that Los Angeles and San Diego have the same sort of laws.

Do any other US cities have this kind of law?

no such mandates here in the sticks.....tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Don't really know.
    I live in the sticks, 22 miles to the nearest town that actually has a grocery store.
    No restrictions around here

Not here either.(edit: restrictions that is) All my neighbors have burn barrels too. Air quality??
    Matt

Jamie, with as many chemical plants as we have around here there are very few restrictions. We do try to keep automotive painting regulated by requiring spray booths with filters and vent stacks, but that doesn't seem to stop some shade tree painter from doing touch up work outside. As far as woodwork, the few "quality" folks do such a small amount that it is unregulated. The on site guys do pretty much what they want.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    In greater San Francisco we have such bad air quality that laws have been passed which outlaw spraying solvent-borne finishes unless you have a finishing room certified to collect the smog-causing vapors. I believe that Los Angeles and San Diego have the same sort of laws.

Do any other US cities have this kind of law?
    Jamie, you're just talking about commercial operations, right? To make something like that stick at the retail/home-use level would require regulating sales of sprayers, lacquer thinner, etc, not to mention aerosol cans. There's certainly been no shortage of that stuff in the local stores down here.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We can still spray lead around here, although the city keeps getting closer. Lacquer is no problem either.

Bill

Spraying lacquer and other high VOC

I'm in CA, southern part and not sure whether its state or federal regs but sales of many products with high levels of Volatile Organic Compounds have been restricted to quart size and smaller and those will be phased out. I went to purchase some Deft and was told it was not going to be available in the 670 VOC after 6-1-06. I bought three gallons and got a good price at the box stores. You can still get quarts. My understanding from the local gurus is the new stuff doesn't spray well (240 VOC) and leaves white tracking on overlaps.
    Last month I ran into the same problem when buyng some Watco Teak Oil. They dropped the 'Marine' from the name and I ended up buying a gallon of the high VOC stuff.
    I'm thinking it might be federal regulations as I have heard similar complaints on WoodNet from people in NY. Apparently trans-fatty shortening is on the block there now. Anyway, my local store supplies some of the hotels in Vegas and the hotels said the same restrictions exist there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Jamie, you're just talking about commercial operations, right? To make something like that stick at the retail/home-use level would require regulating sales of sprayers, lacquer thinner, etc, not to mention aerosol cans. There's certainly been no shortage of that stuff in the local stores down here.
    Yes, I can buy lacquer thinner, aerosol cans, and even Deft in the one quart size. However, I can't buy NC lacquer intended for spraying.

Y'know those signs above the cash register at the liquor store that say "We can't sell to under-age customers..."? At my local Sherwin-Williams there is a similar sign that says "We can't sell solvent-based spray finishes to anybody except shops with certified spray rooms. Don't even ask."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Yes, I can buy lacquer thinner, aerosol cans, and even Deft in the one quart size. However, I can't buy NC lacquer intended for spraying.

Y'know those signs above the cash register at the liquor store that say "We can't sell to under-age customers..."? At my local Sherwin-Williams there is a similar sign that says "We can't sell solvent-based spray finishes to anybody except shops with certified spray rooms. Don't even ask."

roadtrip????
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Restrictions? Nah.....not here anyway.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

>> I'm thinking it might be federal regulations as I have heard similar complaints on WoodNet from people in NY

The VOC regulations are state enacted and mandated. California is the leader but many other states are following with virtually identical regulations.

Didn't I just see that California has instituted suit against 5 or 6 auto manufactureres for air pollution?
    Howie.........

My neighbor (woodworker) was cited by the fire department after a complaint from the veterinarian above him, they told him no laquer allowed without a self contained booth and air scrubber.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Spraying laquer

I would say if you cant spray laquer in your own home it is time to find a new place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim King
    I would say if you cant spray laquer in your own home it is time to find a new place to live.
    I would say if you live below a veterinarian it is time to find a new place to live.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.