Thread: Wolverine Jig

Wolverine Jig

Another quick question.

I have been reading a ton of stuff on the Wolverine Jig but I have one question that still remains unanswered. Will this jig work for my smaller set of pen tools? I have a Pinnacle set of pen tools from woodcraft. I know the wolverine will work with the larger stuff but what about the smaller stuff?

Thanks,

Matt
    Matthew Poeller

It will work on the smaller tools just fine.
    Mike Vickery

Yep! they will be fine! I have 2. I have the bigger one cause my 3/4" Crown bowl gouge wouldn't fit. the smaller one will fit from 5/8"s down.

I have a small set of Crown tools that the small gouge will not project enough through the vari-jig. I have too hand sharpen it. Could probably make a smaller jig but after I got the skew under control, I just quit using the small gouge. I love the Wolverine, without it I would never have been able to keep a decent edge on my tools.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Kurt, If you don't mind can you please explain to me what the 5/8" means? I am assuming that is the width of the tool but I am not 100% on that.

RL, Can you tell me the length of your gouge after it comes out of the handle? That is exactly what I am worred about. I am going to sell my slow speed grinder to get the Wolverine but that is how I used to hand sharpen (and not very well free hand).

Matt
    Matthew Poeller

Matthew - perhaps this image will help demystify it for you.

Vari Grind.jpg

The 1 3/4" dimension can be varied, but everything is relative based on the grind you're hoping to achieve.

What this means is that once you have less than 4 1/4" (+/-) of exposed tool shaft the jig will not be usable.

They make two sizes of this thing. If you go here and look at the top right corner, you see how they break it out size wise. Yup they are referring to the diameter of the tool shaft - not a flute dimension.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Poeller
    I am going to sell my slow speed grinder to get the Wolverine but that is how I used to hand sharpen (and not very well free hand).

Matt
    Now I'm confused. Why would you sell your slow speed grinder? That is what the wolvrine jig works with.

George
    2B1ASK1

Andy, Thank you for the information. I missed that part on their web page. The dims that you show are very helpful. That is what I was worried about. Now I just have to go check the Pinnacle Turning set that I have.

The slow speed that I have is this:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1159284657
    slowgrinder.jpeg
    And I do not think that they Wolverine works with this. Or at least I have never seen them pictured together.

The other grinder that I have is this:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1159284657
    benchgrinder.jpg
    It works with this one. I dare not sharpen on that grinder free hand so if I get the wolverine I will not need the slow speed to sharpen freehand anymore.

Does anybody use a slowspeed (of this style) for anything much?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Poeller

Slow Speed Grinder?

Interestingly, when Oneway first put the Wolverine on the market they recommended high speed (3450) grinders. Now they sell 2 sets of grinding wheels for high or low speed and don't give a recommendation. I have a variable speed grinder and generally prefer the higher speed. Seem to have more control and a smoother grind rather than the slow bumpy grind at lower speed.

Now I am no longer confused. I can't tell looking at the picture, but it is recommended that you use an 8" grinder for sharpening (although some have said that a 6" works well for them).

John, a bumpy feel when grinding usually indicates an out-of-round wheel. Have you trued your well? When I bought my WoodCraft slow speed grinder, the wheels were a littly out of round but a little dressing with a 'T' diamond dresser made them run smooth.

George
    2B1ASK1

Prefer High speed

George,

My wheels are true - diamond dresser.

When I do a light grind of the edge on the fine wheel I much prefer the higher speed. It gives a finer edge and does it quickly. I can turn the chisel faster which gives me a smoother curve. Not enough heat to worry about. I started using the higher speed on Oneway's recommendation.

I also prefer the high speed grinder. I felt it gave me a better edge than the slow speed one. You just have to be a little careful and don't use a lot of pressure. I had a 1750 which I sold and kept the high speed one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Matthew
    The length of my Crown gouge beyond the tool handle is 3 1/2". I believe that Andy shows exactly what you need to worry about. You can always make a smaller jig to work in the Wolverine base.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall
    George,

My wheels are true - diamond dresser.

When I do a light grind of the edge on the fine wheel I much prefer the higher speed. It gives a finer edge and does it quickly. I can turn the chisel faster which gives me a smoother curve. Not enough heat to worry about. I started using the higher speed on Oneway's recommendation.

Truing the wheels and dressing are two different things. Dressing with a handheld dresser may not provide a round wheel while truing with the Oneway dresser will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And for those that want to take it all the way - balance the wheels before dressing them.

I have machine shop experience in precision grinding - now I'm working on getting a lot of experience
    with wood turning - got a ways to go - but my tools are sharp.
    Last edited by John Gornall; 09-26-2006 at 10:19 PM.