Thread: 12 foot Wenge dining table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

12 foot Wenge dining table

I have been working on this 12' long wenge dining table. The wood is beautiful! Real nasty to work with though...

Most of the work I have done on the table is pretty typical. So I will only mention a few points...

For joining boards this size it is better to straight line with a router and a straight edge or a guided saw...I used the Festool saw and I only have 2 - 4 foot rails so I had to move them and align them.. Picking up the boards and running them through a jointer is not an option.....too heavy and too long....a jointer plane and a power hand planer using an 8 foot aluminium straight edge and reading the edge. When joining clamp tap together....clamp in another spot ...tap together....etc...the better job you do the less work latter....I don't have a machine that will plane or drum sand a 12 foot x 18" wenge plank....so hand work is a requirement and if you are careful will yeild a much better job....

The legs are doubled 8/4 so essentially 16/4 . I didn't want to see the seam so I mitered out a 3/8" dado and filled with a solid wenge fascia on the rip miter. This is real handy to know and most woods are not available in 16/4 especially exotics like wenge. This solution is invisible and pretty easy to do. Trim the fascias on a jointer with the fence at 45 degrees...I haven't seen this one in books and I have found it a valuable trick for many years...The oak coffee table I made used similar details...

I recently bought the set of Lie Neilsen hand scrapers....they are terrific! Better than Sandvik never thought I woud say that... The steel is really good! They come jointed and have a mini burr right from the maker! Really a great tool and as good as their planes ..!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=coffee+table
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 09-20-2006 at 12:50 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"