First, I have some beautiful OLD red oak that I recently found. Might even be old growth? I am not a big oak fan but this stuff has some very nice straight grain and I want to use it in something that will show it off. The problem is it is very thin. It will plane out around 1/2" thick on average.

I have built a Chattahoochee Chair out of some thin pine from a shipping pallet I had for a shop chair. Here is an old photo as the glue was drying. The oak would be good for a similar chair.

Chattahochee2.JPG

The chair looks good but it doesn't sit that good. I had to guess at the angles and they are close but not quite right.

The seat is a bit to long too, so I know I need to shorten it up. The back legs need to angle back too. It tips over easy in a decent breeze. It is stable with someone sitting in it though.

I think it would look better if the seat were tapper so that it was narrower at the back. I just don't know how much to taper it.

Now, I know some of you have built some outdoor chairs and was hoping to get some design input. Especially on size of the seat and the angles of the back and seat. I don't want these as steep as an true Adirondack chair I don't think. I have a wonderful back porch overlooking my pool and yard. I have no chairs out there and I want something to sit in the evenings. Perhaps take a laptop with me and be able to put a drink on the arms. Since I know the lumber I have would work with this chair, I would like to improve on it and build a couple of them.