Thread: through tenons

through tenons

Anyone have tips on gluing through tenons? How best to keep it clean? thanks

How about applying the glue to the tenon behind the exposed part of the tenon? That would keep you from getting glue on it.

You could also finish/seal the exposed portion of the tenon before assembly.

I use bar type paraffin as a resist when gluing. I dry clamp the parts and then rub the paraffin along the joint before applying glue. After clamping up I leave the squeeze out alone until it hardens.

When I have joints such as a mortise and tenon, I apply the paraffin carefully to avoid getting it where I want the glue to stick.

After the glue has hardened it is a simple matter of using a card scraper to remve the excess. That'll take the paraffin off as well. Or most of it, anyway. What doesn't come off with the scraper will be dissolved with a quick wipe of mineral spirits and the spirits will help you confirm there's no glue on the surface that would prevent your finish/stain from taking.

I've seen Norm and Mark (from Woodworks) finish through tenons before they assemble them. He comments that its easier to finish(sand and shape) before assembly. But I have not seen him use any precuasions for the glueing, he just wipes any access off with a wet towel.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Easy enough to wipe the glue if the tenon is prefinished...not so easy if it's not. If I have 1/4" of the tenon exposed, I'll apply glue sparingly to all but maybe the last 3/8" or so. I also make sure to have glue on the shoulder of the tenon that meets the face of whatever it's going 'through'. Then I peg with a dowel because I really don't think enough glue actually stays in the mortise to do much good.

KC

KC, I think that's what I'll do on this project. Thanks for the different ideas guys. I was thinking about trying fuming on this project, and part of the issue was trying to decide whether to fume it apart or assembled. Didn't want to have to sand after I fumed, or as little as possible..