Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SMC Turner Interview - Glenn Clabo

Enjoyable interview, Glenn. Nice to know you better.
    Ed

Glad to learn more about you Glenn!

Corey

Glenn,
    Glad to get to know you a bit more. So, you like Moxie and ice cream - Moxie floats anyone?!!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    ..... So, you like Moxie and ice cream - Moxie floats anyone?!!

Wes
    Finally!

Someone gets the big picture!
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice to meet you Glen! Wow what a life! But I suppose it all pales to meeting Andy Hoyt! .

Thanks for sharin', Glenn. Enjoyed every minute.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Blog Entries
    Quite an interview Glenn, I am pleased to know more about you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks everyone...but you should really learn to enjoy Moxie...it can fix stuff...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moxie is found throughout New England and in parts of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
    Moxie, a carbonated beverage, is considered to be the USA's first mass produced soft drink.
    Created in 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson of Union, Maine, Moxie was first marketed as a patent medicine in Lowell, Massachusetts under the product name “Moxie Nerve Food” and was said to cure ailments ranging from softening of the brain to “loss of manhood.”
    In 1884, it was sold in carbonated form and merchandised as an invigorating drink, which claimed to endow the drinker with "spunk." In the early phase of its life as a recreational soft drink, Moxie is said to have been kept handy by bartenders to give to customers who were too drunk to be given any more alcohol. This story may be apocryphal, however, inspired by Moxie's (in)famous aftertaste that many people find unpleasantly strong, though Diet Moxie's aftertaste is a little less strong.
    The name entered the American language, when a person was said to be "full of Moxie", meaning that the person was skillful, or spirited. In this popular meaning, the word is sometimes spelled moxy. Moxie became unique in that it was the name of a commercially produced soft drink, also included in dictionaries.
    The popularity of Moxie produced popular advertising jingles such as "Just Make It Moxie for Mine" and president Calvin Coolidge was known to have favored the drink. Boston Red Sox slugger Ted Williams also endorsed the soft drink. Author E.B. White, an adopted Mainer and noted Moxie fan, once wrote, "Moxie contains gentian root, which is the path to the good life."
    Falling out of favor due to competition from Coca Cola, demand for the soft drink has waned in recent years, although demand for it still exists in the New England area. It is, as of May 10, 2005, the official state beverage of Maine.
    One of the key ingredients of Moxie is "Gentian Root Extractives" and probably contributes noticeably to its unique flavor. For those without access to Moxie the flavor can be approximated (and adjusted to taste) by adding Angostura bitters to Rootbeer. Its bitter taste is also reminiscent of Italian chinotto soda.
    People not from the New England area might mistake a can of Moxie as an orange soda, as the can is a red-orange color similar to that of Orange Crush or Sunkist.
    Moxie is presently owned by the Monarch Beverage Company of Atlanta, Georgia. The Catawissa Bottling Company is one of the six bottlers in the United States producing Moxie. It is located in Catawissa, Pennsylvania and has produced Moxie since 1945. Sugar-free Diet Moxie is also available.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 09-12-2006 at 7:26 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

so....did Moxie contain a "special" ingredient in its early years?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Howdy...

Nice interview Glenn. Good to get to know you better.

Thanks for the interesting info on Moxie too. Makes me want to try it .

Take care,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

John,
    You'll have to ask Andy...I can't remember back that far. I only drink the stuff once in a while...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Well gee whizzercles, Glenn. Ya just had to go and spill the beans. Sheesh! And for a moment, I was considering answering John's question, but have now decided that it's best to hold back the name of the extra special intoxicant - oops - I mean ingredient.
    Only the Blue Roads

Great interview Glenn, I'm glad to know more about you. So, Andy put you up to hawking the Moxie, huh.

Excellent "Get to know you", Glenn!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fun read and a nice interview. Thanks.