Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMC Turner Interview - Bill Grumbine

Evening Bill. Since coming to the Creek, I have been throughly impressed by your offerings. Now, I can be impressed by the MAN! Thank you for giving us an insite to "MR BILL!"

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I'd like to add that if you like turning, you should get Bill's DVD's. If you want to learn to turn better, you should take some one on one instruction from Bill. Well worth it, IMHO.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Mr. Bill,
    Good to get to know ya better. I visit your web page often and enjoy your teachings.

4. Nice interview, Bill! Enjoyed reading it.

Bill, you are indeed a man of many talents. I have gotten so much from your first video that I am having a hard time waiting delivery on the second one. Thanks again.

Bob
    Roberts law >>>>>>> Rome wasnt built in a day neither was my wish list

Bill, I've been trying to get to 5 barns for the past three years to meet you and maybe learn something about spinny work. Haven't made it yet so getting to read your interview will have to do for now.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Bill, I have never met you and have not seen either of your videos, but will get them soon. I want them before I get a lathe so I might learn a little before I do anything. I really do admire you for what you have done both in wood and with your kids.
    I hope you didn't hurt the JD too much when you pushed it off of you.
    Wish you would come to the Kansas City area. I believe several SMCers here in the area.
    Bill I do believe you are a very blessed man.
    Tyler , couldn't you find a hole to stand in? Bill can't be shorter than you!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    BTW, it looks like Tyler has grown a bit?
    Last edited by Randy Moore; 09-16-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Bill: Nice interview. I was furtunate to have spent a day taking lessons from Bill last May and seeing him again at the Albany symposium. I can tell ya, Bill's a straight shooter and a real gentleman. Thank you, Bill.
    Ed

Nice to know you better Bill!

corey

Nice to read about you Bill! My daughter tells all her friends that I
    know a move star & that I talked to him on the phone , when
    her friends come over I have to put on your DVD to prove she's
    not lying! After seeing the DVD, for some reason they believe her?
    Last edited by Mike Ramsey; 09-10-2006 at 9:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great interview Bill, glad to get to know you better. Kinda nice to gain a little insight on the man that has inspired an immeasureable mountain of wood shavings
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Good morning everyone! Thanks for all the responses, and kind words. I have answer to the followup questions below.

Ernie, I think it is a genetic thing with my fingers. Whenever a camera shows up, the automatically extend into a V shape and go behind someone's head!

Jim, I grew up in Tobyhanna, about four or five miles from the depot, going towards Mt. Pocono. My parents still live up that way.

Don, I had planned to go to Albany this year, but will be in Georgia demonstrating for a couple of clubs.

Mke, kids are funny that way, aren't they? My daughters roll their eyes if they have to hear someone say something nice about their Dad, but I catch them on a regular basis saying something about me being a "movie star" when they think I am not around to hear it.

Followup on the JD incident. I was a little stiff and sore for a couple of days, and I have a huge bruise on the inside of my right knee and calf - and I almost never bruise. It was one of those things that makes me aware of how fragile life is, and how fast it can change. I have been riding and using various tractors for years on a very hilly property, and rollover is something that is very close to the top of my mind whenever I am on one. I thought I was going to be okay rolling off the back of the trailer, but it turned out I was wrong, and it could have been a very expensive lesson affecting a lot of people.

The tractor also did well in the whole incident. In fact, it is almost embarrassing to call it a tractor. We refer to it as the toy, as it is much smaller than the bigger JD400 or teh old Ford farm tractor. I tell people it is a lawn mower with a chair on it. I broke one of the plastic pins molded into the hood where the support arms go. The service manager said he would look into the cost of a new hood, and I told him there was no need. I already knew it was too expensive to consider, and not really necessary. They are going to drill it out and put a bolt through to hold it. It will be a reminder to be a little more cognizant of slopes and such for me in the future.

If anyone has any more questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Bill

Ah, Tobyhanna. My first six years were just north of there in South Sterling. That would be about two doors south of the Rain___ (?) restaurant is now. Of course, that was a very long time ago!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...