Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla in my garage (DC gloat)

Gorilla in my garage (DC gloat)

I finally finished installing a 3hp Super Dust Gorilla in my garage and basement. The cycline unit is in the garage and the duct work runs into the basement shop. As you can see in the pictures the filter is in the basement and the ducts run between the floor joists. It's about as loud as the Jet 1.5 hp I had in the basement with alot better performance. Working with Onieda Air on the duct work plan was a little challenging but they prevented me from making some mistakes with duct sizes. I picked the cyclone up at the factory and got a tour of the place which was impressive, they make some very big systems for commercial use. I built my own stand out of pressure treated 2x4s and used the wall mount on the top of the stand to bolt the cyclone to it. It's plenty strong and cost alot less than the metal stand at Oneida. Overall I'm very pleased with the unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations, Tom!! Very nice looking installation. I'm glad you had the opportunity for the "tour", too...I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I picked up my latest system a couple years ago. (Even though it wasn't very good weather driving up and back in early February)

Do keep your eye on that 33 gallon bin...you can fill it up REALLY fast... ...and you don't want to overfill as it will blow-by and pack the filter. "Not fun" to clean! DAMHIKT!!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-07-2006 at 8:32 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom -

Nice setup - that will keep it quiet downstairs won't it!! I've had the 2hp Gorilla for a year know and its a good machine -

Enjoy!!

Blog Entries
    Clean install. You'll be happy about that beast everytime you use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Do keep your eye on that 33 gallon bin...you can fill it up REALLY fast... ...and you don't want to overfill as it will blow-by and pack the filter. "Not fun" to clean! DAMHIKT!!
    Ditto, Not Fun! Running the planer is when you will usually get in trouble.

Nice install for maximizing shop space. Really clean.

I was thinking the same thing as Jim. I have my cyclone in a closet to keep the noise down. I keep the door open when jointing/planing to keep an eye on the clear plastic tube between the cyclone and bin. The small bin does fill fast.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ruflin
    I finally finished installing a 3hp Super Dust Gorilla in my garage and basement. The cycline unit is in the garage and the duct work runs into the basement shop. As you can see in the pictures the filter is in the basement and the ducts run between the floor joists.
    Tom, Congrats on the install.

I have a cyclone in my basement and considered putting it in the garage first, but cutting a 6" or 7" diameter hole in the sill board (Not sure if I'm using the right words or not, but the 2x8 or 2x10 that sits on top of the foundation). How did you do that?? Any special reinforcements?

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I have read about what happens when the dust/chip bin fills up and will be considering one of those detection units that "tells you" when the bin is nearing capacity. I had to go two routes to get the ducts into the basement. For the filter I took out 1/2 of a foundation block ( it was actually already removed by the previous owner of the house in the right spot) so I could run the 8" pipe to the filter. I made a bracket out of plywood and through bolted the filter pipe to the square-to-round adaptor. This plywood bracket is mounted to the floor joists above with a brace to the wall, it's strong and leaves the filer suspended above the floor. To get the collection side of the duct into the basement I cut a 7" hole in the band joist with a jigsaw. As the duct enters the basement I had to reduce from 8" to 7" as my floor joists are only 7" tall. I did not add any additional support as the floor joists are perpendicular to the band joist at that point and there are floor joists on either side of the hole. I sealed it all up with that "Great Stuff" spray foam.

I have used a 1.5hp delta collect for a couple of years and I am now considering upgrading to a 2hp or 3hp Gorilla.
    My concern is capacity. I currently run a Veritas Cyclone lid on a 55 gallon drum. For those of you that buy only rough lumber, you will know what I am talking about when I say that 55 gallon drum fills up quick. Real quick. I feel that the 35 gallon drum on the Gorilla would be too small, and I do not have enough height to use the 55 gallon.
    Can anyone offer some advise?
    Also, in a single man shop where only one machine runs at a time will the 2hp Gorilla be enough, or should I go with the 3hp?

Chris

The install looks great Tom.

Chris, do you have open ceiling joists in your shop? (Or can you facilitate that where the cyclone would go?) If so, you can install the 2hp Gorilla with the motor between the joists and easily use a 55 gallon drum...that is exactly how mine is installed. No way would I give up my 55 gallon bin for exactly the reason you cite.
    --

congratulations!

It looks really nice. I hope it saves you a lot of trouble. Our shop vac fills up so fast when we do planing on our garage. You probably won't have that happen as much.

Chris, do you have open ceiling joists in your shop? (Or can you facilitate that where the cyclone would go?) If so, you can install the 2hp Gorilla with the motor between the joists and easily use a 55 gallon drum...that is exactly how mine is installed. No way would I give up my 55 gallon bin for exactly the reason you cite.
    Mr Becker.
    Ceilings are insulated and drywalled. Ceiling height is 100"
    What can you tell me about 2hp vs 3hp for my needs?

Thanks,
    Chris

congrats on the new DC.. they make great equipment. I have had a 3 hp version for 6 years now and not a lick of trouble .

best wishes
    Lou

Chris, I have the 2hp Commercial which is the performance equivalent of the 2hp Gorilla. NP for a one man shop in most cases--I wouldn't let any small animals near my drops!, but what you do and what you do it with matter. So does shop size/layout. The vendor can help you size it or you might want to start a separate thread on the subject, describing your shop, your tools, etc., so folks can chime in with suggestions.
    --

Just remember, there's no rule that says you have to use a round drum. I have height restrictions in my basement and use a 45g rubbermaid rectangular storage bin for my chips...