Thread: using reverse

using reverse

Bought a new lathe after starting out on the HF. This one has a reverse option and I am wondering what this is used for? Sanding maybe or ornery grain?

Mark,
    Some folks like to sand in reverse every other grit to help get the little "stick ups". Note that your faceplate or chuck must have a set screw to keep from unscrewing itself from the spindle when in reverse.

reverse is quite commonly used by left handed persons. I use it only for sanding and find it gives me a much better finish (I send in both direction, i.e. one normal and one reverse, for each grit)

A friend of mine uses reverse for doing hollow forms. It allows him to get a better sense of where he is in the form. He is also a leftie I'm not sure if that matters tho. It is a good idea to use a set screw on your chuck if possible.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Just be aware that reversing a lathe when you are not working between centers can cause a chuck or faceplate to become lose unless it is held with a set-screw as you can with some OneWay products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I frequently use mine for sanding. As far as unscrewing, if I apply a lot of pressure, things will unscrew. I do use one of the plastic washers between the chuck/face plate and the seating place on the spindle. This isn't exactly a lock washer, but it does help. I have had a few things come loose, and if I remove all pressure (turning or sanding) then the piece stays on till I switch the lathe off. I frequently use reverse to remove things from the lathe, loosen it up first, and then turn the lathe on in reverse while holding on to what ever you are removing. This is easier than spinning it off by hand. The only real problem I have had when using reverse is that sometimes I forget to return it to foreward, and then have a hard time figuring out why the gouge isn't cutting.... I am sure it is sharp????? Duhhhh!!
    robo hippy

After carpel tunnel surgery on both hands a few years ago, I've found that it is a more natural position for HFs, bowls and other faceplate/chuck type work. I've seen many lefties that turn on the back side with the lathe running "forward" so turning on the front side in reverse is the same.

I am a lefty . But have learned to live in a rh world . I have encountered several ocassions where I thought the reverse would work when hollowing that I'm going to try . Thanks for posting. Mark

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Just be aware that reversing a lathe when you are not working between centers can cause a chuck or faceplate to become lose unless it is held with a set-screw as you can with some OneWay products.
    My Nova G3 chuck also has this set screw, works great!

I use it for sanding and occasionally to get better access to the interior of a small bowl when it is difficult to get at what I need from the normal angle. I do have a Oneway face plate and use the plastic washer as well. I haven't experienced any problems with the face plate working loose but I also haven't applied a lot of force in those situations. Having the ability to tighten down the set screw is a great option though.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I use reverse alot on hollowing out bowls it is easier to see what you are doing and as others have said sanding also.