Thread: Seeking the perfect miter

Seeking the perfect miter

I am wanting to try to make some mitered boxes. Just made a miter sled for my table saw. After messing around with the RAS I realized (for me anyway) the sled was going to be more accurate and consistent. My miter sled checks perfect with a draftsman triangle on the blade so I am pleased.

I cut four pieces really quick and put them together, of course the last piece didn't fit exact and I didn't expect it to. But it was close and just some minor fitting and it should be good. It's probably about as close to perfect as I can get it.

This got me to thinking and I figure there are tricks to using a miter sled and in making the mitered corners. So lets talk miters.

If you build a miter sled that that has a left and right fence on it, to form a 90 then that type is perfect for making corresponding miters for a box. I would number your pieces and cut corner 1 on the left, then the mating corner on the right and on around the box and they should be perfect matches. Takes more time to set up your stops to make repeatable cuts vs. a nice miter guage but I had really good luck until my runners warped and I had to trash it. Now I just use my Incra.

Corey

Call me crazy, but I love my old-school mitre trimmer.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

If I could justify one for my shop, I'd buy a Moresų foot operated guillotine miterer. I used one in a picture frame shop that I worked in. Dead on accurate every single time and almost a neander sort of thing.

Miter trimmer would be nice but ......

I just realized that I have a problem with the sled in that I am very limited to the height of the cut. Meaning I can't cut a tall box on there.

Jeff, that is the big problem with a table saw sled like that, the thicker the sled the more capacity you eat up and you don't have alot to begin with if you want a 3 inch plus tall box. This is where a miterguage and cutting a 45 bevel come in. Doug stowe uses a bevel sled he made for this but a miter guage works just as well. Just got to be sure your bevel adjustments are spot on.

corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 08-31-2006 at 11:01 PM.