Thread: Bandsaw table complete "finally"

Bandsaw table complete "finally"

The Wood magazine bandsaw table that took me forever to finish is complete. For this beginner I found it quite the challenge. Some of the instructions were not clear to me and I had to make several modifications to get it to fit my Ridgid bandsaw.
    Overall I think it will be very useful in the future. Now I can move on to other things ' Kevin knows what I am talking about ' TURNING
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Farr
    The Wood magazine bandsaw table that took me forever to finish is complete. For this beginner I found it quite the challenge. Some of the instructions were not clear to me and I had to make several modifications to get it to fit my Ridgid bandsaw.
    Don,
    Great job!

Now...how good are you at telling us what exactly you learned that the instructions didn't tell ya? I have it on my list and I'd like to know if you could remember what it was.

And about that turning thing...some of us have to fight it...have to fight it...have to fight it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Don,
    Great job!

Now...how good are you at telling us what exactly you learned that the instructions didn't tell ya? I have it on my list and I'd like to know if you could remember what it was.

And about that turning thing...some of us have to fight it...have to fight it...have to fight it.
    Hey Glenn, I was going to give a complete review of the project and I came down with the darnest headache that I ever had (I normally don't have headaches) I will try to do better tomorrow. Thanks for asking. Don
    Don

Don, fantastic job on the Bandsaw Table! I have been wanting to do the same thing for my Bandsaw, and I think you have inspired me to just that. Looks like a great addition, and I think that will be a good winter time project. Where did you purchase the hardware, and did it come in a "Kit" form, or did you have to purchase the item seperately. Somewhere I have that issue, but I don't recall the particulars. Hope you are feeling better.............I too seldom get headaches, but when I do, they just about put me down! (I don't know how those that suffer headaches frequently manage to handle it?)

Don that is a really nice looking table. I've go a Shopsmith bandsaw, not near as nice as yours, and I've been thinking about doing the same thing for it. What really caught my eye is the miter guage. What kind is it and will it work on a TS?

Dave

Thumbs up

Don,

The table turned out great. You did a really nice job. Like the others, a bandsaw table is on my list as well as a table for the drill press. With Xmas presents to make I probably won't get to it for awhile though.

Bob

Nice work Don. I'll be checking out that article in more depth later this week.
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Don, it really looks great. Can the fence be adjusted to offset the skew of the blade? I have a Fast Track fence and I can't adjust it so I use the re-saw attachment so I can make the wood "follow the skew" of the blade. David Marks had a show that demonstrated how to really set up a band saw and his fence allowed you to pivot the fence to make it parallel with the skew of the blade.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Don, it really looks great. Can the fence be adjusted to offset the skew of the blade? I have a Fast Track fence and I can't adjust it so I use the re-saw attachment so I can make the wood "follow the skew" of the blade. David Marks had a show that demonstrated how to really set up a band saw and his fence allowed you to pivot the fence to make it parallel with the skew of the blade.
    Byron - I believe my Fast Track fence came with some brass (?) washers that allow the fence to be adjusted for blade drift. I know the instructions that came with the fence discussed this. Using Timberwolf blades, I haven't had to adjust my fence however (using a 14" Jet w/ riser).

I mention this because you may find the fence to be able to do what you need it to without replacing it.

Don - very nice job on the table!!!
    Dave

Good morning all

Thanks for all the compliments on my project.
    Glenn, If I had it to do over again I would make a cardboard templet of the tabletop and see what would need to be changed before cutting that expensive Baltic birch plywood. Mine sticks out to far in the front. They call it the right but I will address that in a minute.
    If you look at the picture of the one in Wood Mag. it looks like the top almost butts up against the column in back/left
    I know it was just me but they call the front of the BS what I would call the left. Once I figured that out and made some firewood it went a little easier.
    The slot for the slider give me some problems. It needs to be PERFECT for the slid to work properly, made two of those also.
    The support pieces under the table had to have some hand chiseling done, because of the little humps and bumps (for lack of a better name) on the bandsaw table.
    Last on the list was the placing of the pin for circle cutting. Once again their instructions did not match the picture so I just put it were I thought best. It works fine.
    Kevin I did order the hardware kit that they suggest in the Mag. Sorry but here I go again. The aluminum pieces were fine but it was short some T-nuts and the knobs were not what was called for in the plans. They were small two arm knobs rather than the four arm ones that the plan called for. The rest of the kit was assorted drywall screws all for the low, low price of $39.95. If you are still interested www.schsons.com .
    David, the miter gauge is made by woodhaven and yes I do use it on my tablesaw. It is one of best investments I have made. Very easy to use and very accurate.
    Byron, It is not in the plans but I believe that it would not be to difficult to add some offset.
    Sorry guys for the long post and the negative comments but that is just the way I saw it. I still like the completed project and feel that it will be a very helpful fixture, especially cutting circles.
    Don