Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Festool Drill.

Time for a Festool Drill.

I think the time has come for me to finally buy a Festool drill.
    Does it make sense to just buy the Festool C12-or what about the
    TDK 12 CE, TDK 15.3 CE, or the TDD 12 FX ? Whichever drill, I was thinking about buying the "funky" chucks, and if the C12, which battery-the 1.3aH, 2.4 aH, or the big boy 3.0 aH ? This will be my first real cordless tool!
    Thanks,
    Phil

Do get the chucks...'best thing since sliced bread. I'm very happy with my TDK 12v. The C12 wasn't available when I bought, but that motor technology is very slick. The more aH your batteries...the longer they are going to drive. If you plan on heavy use, the 3.0aH are probably worth the extra cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine's a C-12

Hi Phil,

I'm been using a C-12 (with the funky chucks) for the last two weeks with the 3.0 AH battery. No beefs so far (other than the cost, but there you are). Shot a lot of tapered holes for 2" #12 wood screws in white oak, and I'm still on the first charge (!). LOTS of torque..... Much more than I expected. The form factor takes some getting used to, but I like it. The chucks offer a lot of versatility for cramped areas.

Just can'y figure out where the port for the dust collector is....

Phil,

The C12 is also smaller and lighter than the TDK's. The TDD's may still be available - at least as of a few weeks ago. The chucks do add versatilty and a new one (sort of like a drywall screw gun) will be available next week. Here's a pic of the new chuck from the Australian site.

C 12 DUO
    The first cordless drill and plasterboard screwdriver with accurate depth stop

EC-TEC by Festool, the high-performance concept:
    Brushless motor for maximum service life and maximum battery efficiency
    Ultra-light with maximum fastening capacity
    Impressive ergonomics make your work easier
    CENTROTEC tool system: Rapid bit change and true-running

Drilling with the C 12 cordless drill with CENTROTEC: rapid bit changes, true-running bits and reliable transfer of force make work easier.

C 12 as a screwdriver with depth stop: ensures precise screw depth and consistent results when countersinking screws in wood.

Easily remove screws without changing the depth setting: simply reverse direction and turn the "Quick - out" ring. There's not need to remove the tip.

Bob
    bob m

Bob M

Bob M,
    I s the C12-Duo:
    1. Just a "chuck"?
    2. A "C12" with a "Duo" chuck?
    3. A "C12" with the regular package and a "Duo" chuck?

Pricing?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    Bob M,
    I s the C12-Duo:
    1. Just a "chuck"?
    2. A "C12" with a "Duo" chuck?
    3. A "C12" with the regular package and a "Duo" chuck?

Pricing?
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil,

I honestly dunno . Myguess is that it's the drill and chuck - as it's sold over there. I was using it at IWF and it looks to be a useful accessory. Pricing - same as the other accessory chucks I think -$88.00.

Bob
    bob m

7. Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Phil,

I honestly dunno . Myguess is that it's the drill and chuck - as it's sold over there. I was using it at IWF and it looks to be a useful accessory. Pricing - same as the other accessory chucks I think -$88.00.

Bob
    Bob, I also don't know anything about the duo, but from the picture it looks to be a chuck that will fit any of the Festool drills. However, that doesn't mean that it can be ordered separately. Knowing the way Festool works, it will probably be an accessory package that you can add to any of their drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson
    Bob, I also don't know anything about the duo, but from the picture it looks to be a chuck that will fit any of the Festool drills. However, that doesn't mean that it can be ordered separately. Knowing the way Festool works, it will probably be an accessory package that you can add to any of their drills.
    It's an accessory and can be bought separately - I bought it for my C12 more than 2 months ago when it got available here in Denmark - around the same time I got the new Domino Works absolutely perfectly (both of them).

Hi folks,

Niels is right. This depth stop (DD-DC) is an attachment that connects to any Festool Fast Fix drill.
    The C 12 Duo is a package that includes: C12 cordless drill, depth stop DD-DC, charger LC 45; CENTROTEC chuck, drill bit D4 CENTROTEC, bit holder CENTROTEC, FastFix chuck 13 mm, Bit PH 2, Bit PZ 2; 2 batteries (1.3 Ah NiCd or 3.0 Ah NiMH), Systainer.

@ Phil: The C12 cordless drill NiCd 1.3 Ah Set or the C12 cordless drill NiCd 2.4 Ah Set would be my choice.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson

I am sorry I did not make myself clear. I just didn't know what the "DOU" was. The new chuck will be available here (in about a week) as an accessory that can be ordered seperately.

Bob
    bob m

Hmmmm, that new chuck looks like it will be useful to me soon.

BTW, I have a TDK and like it. Especially the "funky" chucks. Battery life is good enough that the other battery is always charged by the time the current one is dead. I have tried pretty hard to kill them quicker too .

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Yes, that new chuck is interesting...and could be a nice solution for having to comb the shop for the darn drywall driver when only a few screws need to be driven...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your killing me here, still need to order the angle chuck and now a new one coming out. Love my drill.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Which battery holds a charge better?

Which battery holds a charge longer, NiMH and NiCD ? One of the main reasons why I was resistant to buying a battery powered drill was that sometimes I go a few weeks+ without using a drill. Since the Festools come with two batteries, I was thinking about using one of them, and keeping the second one in "my house" uncharged (actually both the shop and the house are heated/cooled to 70 degrees F year round...). And only using this "spare second battery" when the first one no longer holds a charge-and must be "retired". I don't believe there has been a time in the past half century when I have used a hand held corded drill for more than twenty holes or twenty screws at one time; so the chances of using two batteries....well never! Will both the NiMH and NiCD batteries sit around waiting to be used and be able to be charged and then be "off to the races?" Or will one be better than the other?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Holy cow! How can you guys justify the cost of those things? Are they really that much better than a Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, etc.?