Thread: Tree Shelf Project

Tree Shelf Project

Hi,
    This is my latest project. Now it is still in progress as you will see from the pictures. I still need to build and install another leg/root. This will be anchored to the wall.

If you go through a whole day and didn't learn something new, you wasted it!

That's pretty cool. How are you attaching the shelfs to the legs/back.. screws?

Corey

Thanks.

Attach the shelves? Why would I want to do that? Just kidding. The shelves are in slots and I will put screws in from the back.

That is a really neat piece of work. So neat in fact I saved the pics to the computer so I can study it and maybe do something similar in the future. Is this a design of your own?
    Also, I'm curious about the "leg's/roots" is that one solid piece or several pieces that you have put together?
    Any info that you could give me would be really appreciated as I see a christmas present for my significant other on the horizon.
    Thanks
    Mike

Much Thanks,
    The leg/root was glued up. I had to glue up a couple of pieces to get enough width for the trunk, also the trunk is 2 3/4" boards glued and screwed together.

I designed the cruves on the computer and had it printed full size. Then I glued the print on a 1/4" partical board and cut it out for a template.

I plan on staining the trunk and root dark and shelves clear.

Ahhh ... I can see now that the shelves are in a dado. Again, nice job.

Corey

Hi,
    I'm considering shortening the upper 2 shelves. What do you think?

Nice work Randy. Great design. Yes, I think shortening the two uppers a little imght be more "treelike," but I also love it the way it is. A very airy feel to it.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Maybe the top shelf should be cut to project the same distance left and right from the trunk and the middle shelf- I dont know. Just thinking out loud. Looks pretty cool. WHat is going to be holding?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Very nice..

An interesting design well presented

Andrew

Project Completed

Very unique, Randy. And it looks like it "grew" in its intended place! Nice work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Randy. As Jim said it does look like it grew there. I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments on the design.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Hi,
    Thanks for the complements.
    I wish I had a picture of the book case that was there. Very plain and kind of poorly built ( High school project 1977 ), dark, dingy and leaning.

The tree shelf realy gives that space something special and insted of the bookcase in front of the heating registrator and 4" away from the wall, now there is more room.