Thread: Frank Fusco --wine bottle holder

Frank Fusco --wine bottle holder

Frank and all:

After looking at your thread on the drunken fish, went out to the shop looking around. Back in the mid 90's my daughter had a bath & kitchen assor. store, and asked me to make up a bunch of wine bottle holders. Got almost done with a few, when she closed store. So set them off to a corner and never finished them. Here is the model and jig I used to make them, the hole is made with a 1 3/8" forestner bit. The bottom and top are cut at 45 degrees, the hole at 49 degrees, the distance from long point of bottom to center of hole is 6 3/4". The top really doesn't matter, just that the bottom is 45.
    The jig is made to fit on DP (and cut-outs in side allow it to be aligned to bit and clamped down). After I drilled out a bunch , I unclamped the jig and mounted a 1" drum in DP with 220 grit paper and popped each one on the jig and free handed it to just clean up the fuzz in hole. in the second pic. ( of the jig ) the bottom of the bottle holder is at top. You need to adapt a jig to what ever size blank you're using, however the distance from bottom to center of hole is an important measurement to balance a full bottle of wine, plus the angle of hole and this distance allows bottle to lay level.
    HTH
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Roger.....Very cool. And good description on making it. I'm always looking for gift ideas and this is going in my "gotta try this" basket. Wine is a subject my extended family knows about.

Nice idea - the jig.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

4. I think I should try to make a few of these to sell in my wine shop....

Thanks!

I made the one described in a recent Wood magazine. The tail of the fish is 45 degrees, but the hole is perpendicular to the face. It seems to work well.

Ron Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Robinson
    I made the one described in a recent Wood magazine. The tail of the fish is 45 degrees, but the hole is perpendicular to the face. It seems to work well.

Ron Robinson

Mine done that way produced my now infamous "drunken fish" that can't get up.
    I'll start over using Roger's, much appreciated, technique.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Mine done that way produced my now infamous "drunken fish" that can't get up.
    I'll start over using Roger's, much appreciated, technique.
    Frank,

I believe that you are trying to insert the wine bottle all the way into the hole until it seats against the 'fish'. That won't work with the Wood Mag. fish. Try sliding the neck of the bottle back and forth in the hole until it balances. The wine holder works as described, 45 degree base with a 1 1/2" hole drilled 7 1/8" from the end of the bevel.

After reading your "drunken fish" thread I found the plans and went out and made a couple of them to give as gifts. I didn't have a 3/16" round over bit so I used a 1/8" bit instead.

You can also make a holder out of a plain piece of wood. Cut a 3" wide piece 12" long. Cut a 45 degree bevel on one end and then drill a 1 1/2" hole 90 degrees to the board 7 1/8" on center from the long end of the bevel, you don't even need to round over the edges. Insert a full wine bottle and slide the neck back and forth until it balances. But as someone else said, if you make the fish only use 'white' wine.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Chilenski; 08-28-2006 at 9:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    This forum is great. My wife came home today, trying to describe what she saw....and it was one of these. It's great that you can "wake up" a post that is over two years old.

Thanks for sharing!