Thread: What oil do i use for my compressor?

What oil do i use for my compressor?

I've got an old old Scout Air 2.5 gallon compressor that needs a bit of oil. What should i use? 50 weight? 10W-40?

No, i don't have a manual and can't find anything on Al Gore's internet....

TIA

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Hi Brian,
    I have a 5hp Saylor/Beale industrial that's over 30 y.o. and was advised by the compressor experts to use 30 wt. non-detergent. Must be working, no problems ever. JCB.

I always use 30w

Please note:

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    Hi Brian,
    I have a 5hp Saylor/Beale industrial that's over 30 y.o. and was advised by the compressor experts to use 30 wt. non-detergent. Must be working, no problems ever. JCB.
    Non-detergent. That's important.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks Guys!

30 weight non-detergent it is!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Thumbs up

.... Hi Brian,

.... I have a Devilbiss 5hp. 80gal. tank air compressor. Over a year ago I went through the same problem you're going through. I ended up calling the manufacture, who I think has been bought out if I recall. They assured me to use SAE 30 Non-Detergent motor oil and NOT to use the synthetics as is being offered by most stores as air compressor oil today. The best part is, after determining the correct product oil, WAL-MART has it very reasonably priced. The name is “ACCEL Non-Detergent SAE 30 Motor Oil” the cheapest thing on the shelf which was I think less than a dollar. I bought all they had that night and came back and bought another case as I recall. Haven't had any problems and I will probably wear out this air compressor before I have to purchase anymore air compressor oil. By the way, when you read the labeling in the stores on their air compressor oil they Don't want YOU, as the consumer, to know what weight oil it is.

.... Good luck and happy air compressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    I've got an old old Scout Air 2.5 gallon compressor that needs a bit of oil. What should i use? 50 weight? 10W-40?

No, i don't have a manual and can't find anything on Al Gore's internet....

TIA

Brian
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Boyd, do you remember why Devilbiss said no synthetics? Ingersol Rand extends their warranty by a year if you use it in theirs. Well, that is, if you use *their* synthetic oil... Maybe they just want to sell it. I think the maintenance (oil change) on their machines is about 6x as long with the synthetics as petroleum also.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    .... Hi Brian,

.... I have a Devilbiss 5hp. 80gal. tank air compressor. Over a year ago I went through the same problem you're going through. I ended up calling the manufacture, who I think has been bought out if I recall. They assured me to use SAE 30 Non-Detergent motor oil and NOT to use the synthetics as is being offered by most stores as air compressor oil today. The best part is, after determining the correct product oil, WAL-MART has it very reasonably priced. The name is “ACCEL Non-Detergent SAE 30 Motor Oil” the cheapest thing on the shelf which was I think less than a dollar. I bought all they had that night and came back and bought another case as I recall. Haven't had any problems and I will probably wear out this air compressor before I have to purchase anymore air compressor oil. By the way, when you read the labeling in the stores on their air compressor oil they Don't want YOU, as the consumer, to know what weight oil it is.

.... Good luck and happy air compressing.

Thumbs up

Hello Dave,

.... Yes, they were concerned that the synthetic oil would NOT allow the metals to seat properly as they ran. I probably have one of the few good, older air compressors built. Mine was not built to run on synthetics. I would suggest getting in touch with your manufacture and see what they say and recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Boyd, do you remember why Devilbiss said no synthetics? Ingersol Rand extends their warranty by a year if you use it in theirs. Well, that is, if you use *their* synthetic oil... Maybe they just want to sell it. I think the maintenance (oil change) on their machines is about 6x as long with the synthetics as petroleum also.

David
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Too late! But it's not your fault. I got my machine a couple of weeks ago. I asked the guys who sold me my (used compressor) if they would change the oil to synthetic for me before they deliverd it to me. They said it was a good idea, but they did not build the machine. And mine should be broken in by 3 months of running at a manufacturing plant. So maybe I'm OK.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    Hello Dave,

.... Yes, they were concerned that the synthetic oil would NOT allow the metals to seat properly as they ran. I probably have one of the few good, older air compressors built. Mine was not built to run on synthetics. I would suggest getting in touch with your manufacture and see what they say and recommend.

I remember always being told to use non detergent oil, but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember why?
    Anybody???
    I was using 40wt during the summer and 30wt during the winter when I ran my compressor alot painting, now just stick with 30wt

Al