Thread: CA Glue

CA Glue

Hello everyone,

From my experiences in model railroading, I've found CA glue to be a great aid. Using thin, medium or thick CA glue with a 5 minute drying time, I can practically weld glue together at a great speed. Add in an accelerator spray, and you you can have it set in 3 seconds.

I find that for non load bearing project, this glue (pretty much super glue) is very reliable. It's a bit more expensive than wood glue, but I tend to use much less glue to do my work.

My favorite source for purchasing in bulk is www.e-zbond.com. Thier prices are very friendly.

Here's my question, how does everyone else feel about this glue?

V/R,

DAK

2. I hate it when I glue myself to my project but other than that it ranks right up there with zip tyes and duct tape!

Talking Thanks...

Thanks for the laugh. That's how I feel with a bit of humor for show.

DAK

JohnIt is pretty much worthless as a "wood glue" in that over time it crystallizes and shatters and joints fail. Having said that I have used it in addition to "wood glue" to help hold things in place! Understand?? :>)All sooper glue I've used is water soluble, yes I know water is a catalytic agent for it, but, water will also unbind?? it. I do use it exclusively for inlay work when I'm working with stone.Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden
    JohnIt is pretty much worthless as a "wood glue" in that over time it crystallizes and shatters and joints fail.
    What kind of time-frame are we talking about here? I agree it's not a good choice for structural joints where the glue itself is taking the load, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden
    All sooper glue I've used is water soluble, yes I know water is a catalytic agent for it, but, water will also unbind?? it.
    I've got a coffee mug, repaired about a decade ago with CA, that says otherwise. Gets used and run through the dishwasher about once a week.

And Joe, water won't get you unstuck from your workpiece either. DAMHIKT.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

6. Lee,

Trust me, I know water won't get me unstuck from the workpiece. Even the debonder doesn't work too good or fast enough when your fingers are stuck together!

Joe

I use this type of glue to assemble my Radio Control model airplanes. A high stress and high vibration environment. I had one airplane for over 8 years and never had a glue joint fail.

Guy

I fly Radio Control also. It seems getting glued to your airplane is a necessary hazard. I tried the DeBonder when first released and found it marginally effective. I also found that straight Acetone works much better, and is pretty cheap by the quart.

John,
    I use a lot of EZ Bond CA for turning projects, usually for stabilizing soft/spalted wood and filling cracks. Also use it as a pen/pencil finish. Got no complaints. Only draw back is their minimum order size ($125). That gets you a lot of CA. Best to go in with somebody on the order.
    Ted

Acetone? Really?

Acetone will certainly have to be tested as a debonding agent. Interesting idea!

Personally, I never get my fingers stuck to anything anymore with CA glue. I either use dental picks (yes, a full set of actual ones) or a machinist's scribe to position the glue. It keeps my hands out of the equation. After I apply the glue, I then hit it with accelerant spray to finish it off quickly.

On-on,

DAK

I also use baking soda as an accelerant. You can use it t fill in holes ect, throw in some CA, throw on some baking sode, and repeat till you build it up. It sands well also. I use it a lot to fix chipped acrylic that I finish with a coat of paint.

As a safety note, altho CA does not seem to be flammable, a large spill cleaned up with a rag will create enough heat to start a fire.

We used quart bottles and had to be careful about spills.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Wink

Acetone works best to unstick fingers. Don't be smoking too. Methylene cloride too, but don't go there. You like your liver.
    In dry climates, like Colorado or AZ if it is not setting, breath on it to give it the moisture it needs to set. Or on the parts before you apply it.
    If you have a bunch, keep it refrigerated until you need it, to extend shelf life.
    Does not work long term outdoors, UV breaks it down.

Art

When removing from fridge let come up to room temp before opening. If a new bottle is opened when still cold it will absorb more moisture and defeat the reason for storing in the fridge in the first place.

John