Thread: Oh boy, a new tool!

Talking Oh boy, a new tool!

Well, I picked up my new MiniMax MM-16 bandsaw today at the Syracuse WoodWorking Show! What a beauty! My friend Scott and I lifted it into and out of my truck, and this saw weighs over 500 pounds with the pallet and packing! Whew, it's great to have strong friends! Tomorrow I am going to try and get it ready to go into the basement, and I can't wait to get it up and running. It is one impressive saw! Thanks for putting up with my gloat!
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 10-04-2003 at 10:49 PM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Congrats

Tom, I had to move a unisaw into my basement. I don't think it weighed as much as yours but it was heavy. I removed everything I could without messing with any factory alignments. I removed the motor, and cast iron wings. That made it manageable. You might consider doing the same. Motors are usually mounted on a swing arm to create the belt tension and is just a matter of removing a couple of bolts. The wiring will probably goes into a magnetic switch. Open the switch and write down which color went into which terminal. Mine used spade lugs so it was just a matter of pulling them off. Good luck and be careful.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Congratulations on the new saw, Tom, although it looks more like a Maxi Max than a Mini Max. Hopefully you won't be moving any time soon. I'd rather help you move it into your basement than out of your basement.
    JB

Congrats on the new saw, Tom!! Good choice. (I can't wait to get my FS-350 jointer/planer in a few weeks at the Ft Washington show... )

I had dinner with Jim Strain (president of MiniMax) and Michael Kahn in San Antonio last week. I learned a lot about the company and have to say that I'm very impressed. I think that we're going to see more and more folks sporting MiniMax tools in their shops. Good stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wink Oh my aching back!

I should've known something was up when you picked up the tab for breakfast! Don't worry, I should be fully recovered by tomorrow for the basement move.

Pretty impressive saw! Had never seen one in person. The first thing that came to mind is that it's a hunk of precisely machined cast iron with an on/off switch. Haven't seen everything that's out there, but it's easily the most well built BS I've seen so far.

Have fun....be safe!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 10-05-2003 at 9:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pritchard
    Well, I picked up my new MiniMax MM-16 bandsaw today at the Syracuse WoodWorking Show! What a beauty!
    Congratulations. I get to pick up mine at the end of the Springfield MA show in January.

I take it yours was not the show demo machine as it seems to be still crated up. I'm expecting the demo machine which has been uncrated and (partially, at leat) cleaned up. At least I'm hoping that's the way it will be, since I'm planning to bring it home in a rental cargo van on its back.

Mark

[QUOTE=Mark Katz]Congratulations. I get to pick up mine at the end of the Springfield MA show in January.

Mark, make sure you take at least two other strong people with you! This saw is HEAVY! I have mine on an appliance dollie right now waiting for two of my friends to come over and help me take it into the basement. Mine was new in the crate. Since the Syracuse show was the first of the season, they put my saw on the truck that came to the show. Even if you purchase the demo, they use the demo at the show to cut up a lot of wood, so be prepared to clean the sawdust out with something. Even with the table and motor removed, this is one HEAVY saw. Be prepared for that part of it. Good luck! I'll put a post up when I get it up and running and let you know how I like it. Here's a picture of it waiting to go inside. Nice add for a U-Haul Dollie, huh?
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 10-06-2003 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Added picture.

[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Congrats on the new saw, Tom!! Good choice. (I can't wait to get my FS-350 jointer/planer in a few weeks at the Ft Washington show... )

Hi Jim, thanks for the note! Wow, a FS-350! Good going! I am really pleased with the fit and finish of the saw, and I'll give you a full review once I get the saw up and running! Waiting for tools is really hard to do, isn't it?