Thread: Gravity - 1, Unisaw - 0

Gravity - 1, Unisaw - 0

I just finished making a "temporary" move to a townhouse, waiting for a new house to finish completion (where at least I'll have a good part of a 2.5 bay garage with a 10' extension, up from half of a 2-bay garage).

I had planned to move all my stuff in the garage by myself, renting a tail-gate lift truck, but (like a fool!!!) was talked out of it by the moving company ('not a problem') and my wife ('why bother?') and myself ('I am *so* tired already!'). Did I mention that little voice was talking?

Everything about the move went smoothly until the 3 guys came out the garage and looked around. I could immediately tell by the look on their faces that they hadn't been warned by their boss about moving any large tools (the little voice piped up). Nonetheless, we were committed and out of time at that point. Drill press, bandsaw, router table, standing cabinets, no problems. DJ-20 took some grunting to get it on a skate, and they needed some help pushing it up the ramp, but no problem. We had just finished getting my Unisaw (with extension table) up in the truck (on a skate) and I had turned around and was walking down the ramp, feeling victorious (obviously drowning out the little voice), when I heard this sickening bam! (little voice said "I told you so"), and immediately knew what had happened. I didn't even turn around for a couple of seconds, because I didn't want to see what I knew I would see. In trying to get it off the skate, the 3 guys had managed to let the entire thing tip over and fall on it's front face. They are oh-so fortunate to have gotten all their fingers and toes (or arms or legs) out of the way in time.

It already had a couple of moving blankets on it, which I'm still convincing myself had to have helped. The on/off switch snapped off (no great loss, I wanted to move it anyway). My biggest trouble is that I can't tell if there is any damage or not. The unifence rail does not appear to be damaged in the least, and the fence still slides smoothly. I'm sure the top will need to be realigned, and the left wing appears to have dropped just enough to catch a fingernail on.

The completely packed out garage it's stored in (for the next 4 months) doesn't have 220v, so this weekend I'm going to try to cobble together an extension cord from wire from a leftover 8/2 spool and a dryer plug and see if things work.

Moral of the story: If the little voice is talking, tell everyone around you to shut up and start listening!

Chances are it should be fine, one thing to think about is that it was not on the concrete (assuming I read the story right) so the truck may have moved a little. I won't tell you the story about me trying to load the my 1023S onto a mobile base by myself. It hit concrete. Blew the screws the hold the front rail right off. That little voice was a big voice and I ws too much in a damn hurry to listen. Did you document anything so you have the moving company pay for repairs?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Same thing happened to me. The saw is still in storage, so I won't find out if it's OK for another few weeks.
    Mine had the fence and extensions off and was sitting in the mobile base. The mover thought he'd just lift the extension side of the mobile base and drag the whole shebang in the truck.
    When I finally had the courage to turn and look, the saw was on it's top (on the cement floor of my garage). *Luckily*, my 6" jointer may have helped to break the fall, as it was lying on its front.
    The equipment went straight to storage with the movers. So, I have to wait and see. I think worst case is I'll need a new top.
    My new shop, with living quarters over top (my wife calls it a house with room for a shop in the basement) is scheduled for completion/settlement on the 20th.
    Hopefully, for both of us, Unisaws can take a fall

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Richard,

I moved in June. I disassembled the saw: took off the extensions and table top, removed the motor. It got moved ok, though the movers put a couple extra dings in the cabinet. I have a strip-built kayak in progress, did everything I could to secure it to the forms and so on. It was still a mess when it got where it was going, (despite some pretty severe supervising on my part) and I still have repairs to do on it now that the weather's getting cooler, before continuing with the build.

Funny thing is, the other movers I used last time were WAY better - so I know it's possible to do a good job.

Anyway, hope your tools turn out ok. Moving is always a pain, as I'm sure John M is confirming.

- Ed

Richard, when you get set up in your new shop, I'll come over and we can push it over on its back to realign everything! OUCH!!!

Todd.

Check to make sure the motor mount is not broken.

Richard,

I had a brand new saw experience a similar tumble. In my case, one of the saw's trunion brackets cracked. I didn't realize it until I tried to align the top with the blade.

I suggest you check everything including the wings, very carefully, and document whatever damage you find, no matter how small it may be.

Jeff

Followup

Well I finally got enough time to inspect more closely and fire it up, and I'm pleased to say that the on/off switch appears to be the only casualty. I spent half an hour vacuuming out the inside of the cabinet before I could really stick my head in there and look around (the sloped bottom helps with dust collection, but methinks I need to devise some sloped sides as well).

Nothing visibly cracked or broken, can't detect any difference with the motor running, seems fine.

Two questions, though:
    1. I've seen wax, wax plus powered graphite, and white lithium grease all recommended for use on the trunnion gears. Any favorites?
    2. How tight should the 3 belts be? When I press one of them as hard as I can with an index finger, it deflects about one inch. Seems a bit loose to me, but then there is three of them...

Thanks

Richard,

Here's a great article on tuning up tablesaws that covers what lube to use where.

http://files.owwm.com/PDF/FAQ/TableSawTune.pdf

- Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis
    Moving is always a pain, as I'm sure John M is confirming.

- Ed
    Ed, that has to be the absolutely BIGGEST understatement of the year! Holy smokers...Am I beat to a pulp. And yes, very sore. Heck, I've said it before and I think its' true: Even my hair hurts!

Back to the real topic: Richard, I sure do hope all is OK on your saw. I played it "safe". I moved the TS (contractor-type) all by my lonesome. I plan on a cabinet saw, but it will be delivered to the new shop! As for the rest of the equipment, I had friends help with the rest of the equipment. Couple scratches is the worst I came out with. (Yes, I do mean ..."I came out with!" Good luck on the saw.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Ed, that has to be the absolutely BIGGEST understatement of the year! Holy smokers...Am I beat to a pulp. And yes, very sore. Heck, I've said it before and I think its' true: Even my hair hurts!
    Doesn't get any better doing it after you're 50, either; fortunately, Iwas able to hire some help this last time.

- Ed