Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on wood allergies.

The coveralls might be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping it is something in this particular batch of mahogany, rather than the wood itself- I've been using mahogany for many years without a problem. It is one of the most common woods used for guitars.

I used to have a few Tyvek jackets (I was a construction manager for about 20 years) and they were very lightweight. I liked them. I really hope I don't need to wear them, but they might be a good solution. Thing is, nobody knows if the problem is from contact or from breathing, and there aren't any doctors available at the dermatologist office this week. I suppose I'll continue treating it with the salve they prescribed last week, and hope somebody has a cancellation. I don't see myself giving up building, now that it is finally working out... Maybe it's time to suggest alternative woods to prospective clients..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Now, go back there and get your mom..."

Actually, I build guitars when I'm not talking to fish.

There are toxic woods and people who have allergies to certain woods and those like myself who are allergic to the mold that comes with wood. I can get nasal, respiratory and eye irritation. A face mask respirator does a reasonable job protecting me from the first two but I can still get itchy eyes. I don't spend more than a few minutes in the shop without my respirator.
    I still enjoy turning tremendously but have to be careful.

Marc Himes

Thanks for the support. I received a call yesterday afternoon from the dermatologist office, and they called in another prescription for more Prednisone at a lower dosage. I really don't like this drug, (I really don't like ANY drugs anymore) but it seemed to settle the condition down a bit over the course of the evening.

I figure I'll try to see the doc next week, to see what precautions I need to take. I hope it is a fluke, something to do with the way this particular batch was processed or something. Perhaps my folly was to not have been wearing a face mask, and using a respirator when generating that much fine dust would limit my intake of the wood. We just don't know if the reaction was topical, internal, or both. Something pushed my buttons, but I've never had a reaction to wood before- at least not that I'm aware of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Now, go back there and get your mom..."

Actually, I build guitars when I'm not talking to fish.

Unhappy

Wood Allergies can be a real health problem, take it from me. I'm mildly allergic to Walnut dust, and very allergic to Redheart and certain Rosewoods. Not exactly sure which Rosewoods, so I avoid most all of them. Oddly enough I can still tolerate Cocobolo, which is supposed to be a problem for many wood sensitive people.

I now use coveralls, a Trend face mask and vinyl gloves when sanding. Plus I have a dust collection system and a Jet overhead air filter. Problem is I like to work with exotics. Never had a problem with domestic woods except for Walnut dust.

The unfortunate thing, is that allergies can become more acute over time. In other words, you might not show any allergic signs now, or only be minimally allergic to a particular wood, but given enough exposure it could get worse.

I have noticed that with walnut dust in recent years. So I have been very careful to keep the dust level down, and wear a half face respirator when I work it. Then, before taking the respirator off, I go outside with compressor hose and blow the dust off me. Seems to help.

I feel your pain Rich. I have exactly the same reaction to Padauk and a very mild version with cocobolo and certain other rosewoods. Like, you I was told that it was contact dermatitis. I went to an allergist and had every test under the sun but they can't treat a wood allergy.
    I did however find a solution. I took a COLD shower immediately after working with the Padauk and I stopped getting most of the symptoms. I found that the oils in the wood act like poison ivy and if I took a hot shower, or sweat while working, my pores would open allowing the oils into my skin.
    I don't know if this would help or not, just wanted to share the experience.
    After my project was completed I have never touched padauk again. Not worth it for me.