Thread: Finding Floor Joist (squeaky floor)

Finding Floor Joist (squeaky floor)

I have a squeaky area in one of my upstairs room that I want to get rid of. If I could locate the joist I could use this thing I bought (called Squeeek No More, or something like that) where you screw a screw down into the floor and joist and then take this tool and snap off the head so it is below/flush the plywood floor.

Problem is my stud finder will not work through the carpet and padding so I not sure what the best way is to find the joist, I not even sure which way they run. Any suggestions.

Thanks for any help
    (I also posted this in another forum just wanted to see what answers I might get here)

Pull a little of the carpet back so you can see where the nails are that fasten the plywood to the floor joists. That'll give you a pretty good idea as to where the floor joists are.

FYI, the floor joists on an upstairs floor generally run from the bearing wall in the middle of the floor out to the walls. It'd be an odd house that was framed differently.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 08-17-2006 at 4:38 PM.

Can you get to the ceiling under it? If so, find the joist from below and do some measuring off the walls to transfer upstairs. I just did some wiring and found what Rob said, the bearing wall is in the center of the house going across left/right (between the side walls) and the joists go front to back.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

aaron, try a small diameter drill bit, do a hole in the closet first to see if your carpet unravels before trying the center of the room...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Can you get to the ceiling under it? If so, find the joist from below and do some measuring off the walls to transfer upstairs. I just did some wiring and found what Rob said, the bearing wall is in the center of the house going across left/right (between the side walls) and the joists go front to back.
    Nope can't see the ceiling from below. I can see joist in the basement but that is below the floor I am not looking at.

Todd, that's a good suggestion. I found the hard way that berber will wrap around the bit and unravel, but short pile was OK. I couldn't try it in the closet because they have cedar floors but I could have at least tried it behind the couch. If it does unravel cut a small slit with a utility knife, lift and insert a short piece of PCV pipe or have a kid hold it open, and drill.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hey...these are good tips. I feel just like I'm reading Home Handyman.

WTG guys!!!!!
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Take a good old-fashioned wire-hanger and make yourself a quick 'n dirty small-diameter drill bit. Snip one end away and the other at about 45 degrees. Leave the burr...that will be your cutting edge!

This little beauty will often go through carpet of all kinds will little problems because of its small diameter. It can also be very handy that this 'drill bit' can flex, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Finishing nails make good drill pits too, never tried a coat hanger

Just get on your knees and hit the floor with a hammer. Moving back and forth you will be able to feel the joists (hammer will not bounce back as much) and the sound will be a little higher pitch when hammering over a joist. Similar to knocking on the wall to find a stud behind sheetrock. Try and youll see how easy it is.

I find it helpful to lay a tape measure out on the floor so when you think you have found a joist you can tap around and see if there is another one 16" o.c. to double check yourself. Good luck.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion