Thread: Miter saw station plans anybody?

Miter saw station plans anybody?

While I'm waiting for my saw to arrive, I thought I'd start making plans for a miter saw station. I have about 8 feet in length to play with. Any ideas appreciated especially pics. Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Heres one that isn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    While I'm waiting for my saw to arrive, I thought I'd start making plans for a miter saw station. I have about 8 feet in length to play with. Any ideas appreciated especially pics. Thanks Alan in Md.
    36" deep to accomade the slider saw. Will have some drawers and doors eventually. I built in a dust collector in the rear of the cabinet. Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about some

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    36" deep to accomade the slider saw. Will have some drawers and doors eventually. I built in a dust collector in the rear of the cabinet. Steve
    pictures of the dust collection on your miter saw? I am in the process of building that now. Looks as if you are collecting the saw dust from the bottom of the table top and that is what I am doing. Would appreciate any advise that would guide me.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Here they are Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Todd
    pictures of the dust collection on your miter saw? I am in the process of building that now. Looks as if you are collecting the saw dust from the bottom of the table top and that is what I am doing. Would appreciate any advise that would guide me.
    Jerry
    The cab is 36" deep, with a 12" partition on the back.
    Use as big as piping as you can. MIne is 6". Also check Terry Hatfields web site for more ideas on his. Hope this helps, Steve

Design Forum

Jim Becker has a picture of a nice looking down draft table hanging on a wall. His a variant of something he found in a magazine. I am thinking a version of this for my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Steve, That's a great looking miter station/ storage unit. You've given me some ideas. Now if I can only do it. Thanks Alan

Alan,

I think you saw this before on another board but cant remember. My Sliding miter station is kinda modeled after Norms as far as the cabinets go. I built two 4' cabinets with a total of 14 full depth drawers of varying heights. The SCMS sits on a sliding shelf between the two cabinets allowing the bench tops to act as the table.

I decided that even at 36" deep the saw (Bosch 3915) was going to stick out so I went with a 30" deep top (base cabinets are 26") and the sliding shelf arrangement. to save floor space. Works well.

Having all those drawers to store my tools in is great, no more dusty tools on metal shelving units.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

One idea, if you want a permanent workstation that also features lumber storage is something like what I built based on Chris Gotchnour's miter station. It was featured in Fine Woodworking a few years ago. The exact issue is referenced on my site in the article. There is also a construction pictorial that might be useful to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Bill

Yes Bill, I do remember. Couple of questions? How did you fine tune the height of the sliding shelf? It seems if you're a little too low or high that you'd have a problem. Thanks Alan

I think you saw this before on another board but cant remember. My Sliding miter station is kinda modeled after Norms as far as the cabinets go. I built two 4' cabinets with a total of 14 full depth drawers of varying heights. The SCMS sits on a sliding shelf between the two cabinets allowing the bench tops to act as the table.

I decided that even at 36" deep the saw (Bosch 3915) was going to stick out so I went with a 30" deep top (base cabinets are 26") and the sliding shelf arrangement. to save floor space. Works well.

Having all those drawers to store my tools in is great, no more dusty tools on metal shelving units.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Yes Bill, I do remember. Couple of questions? How did you fine tune the height of the sliding shelf? It seems if you're a little too low or high that you'd have a problem. Thanks Alan
    Alan,

I measured twice And used clamps to hold it. A little high isn't a problem.

If you end up being low it's easy enough to shim the shelf anyway.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages