88 53.66%
  • Should we fire the Super Moderator

14 8.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator Complaints Poll

1. Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    Well, that is a shame.

You know, I've been thinking about this thread and it raises an interesting question, namely: what makes for good moderation?

Are there principles we should use in evaluating the quality of moderation (as we have been asked to do by the OP)? What are those standards?

I've got my own thoughts on that, of course, but I'm going to chew on it a bit before I post them. I'd be interested in hearing what other folks think on the topic, though.
    First off you got to have thick skin

You can please all of the people some of the time and
    You can please some of the people all of the time; but
    You can't please all of the people all of the time!!

Keep on trucken!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    It's called the "wreck". rec.woodworking. Talk about the ying to this place's yang. That group would send some of these guys into convulsions.
    And vice versa. Their resident curmudgeon has an extremely short fuse on some subjects.

They do have some interesting political, um, discussions over there though...yeah, that's the word, discussions.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    What? You don't have anything better to do?
    Oh, come now Rob, what's better than chatting with folks on SMC? Other than perhaps rolling around naked with Scarlett Johansson?

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    ... rolling around naked with Scarlett Johansson?
    Great. Now you're gonna get this thread locked too.

Ken; There is no doubt that you and all the mods are doing a great job. I always figure that if someone is really not happy with this forum there are plenty of other forums that they can go to. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the contributers for all the info that they have posted. It has certainly helped me with my projects. For instance I have been working with 1/4 sawn oak and I was having trouble with chipout when I was planeing the boards to thickness and some of you mentioned wetting down the boards before running them through the planer. What a differance that make for getting a smooth surface. There are other examples that I could give but I've gone off topic enough. Keep up the good work and thanks to all.

DK

Please for give me.

The fact that this is even being questioned or discussed seems bizarre to me.

This is a private forum. The TOS seem pretty clear (though honestly I've not read them). The fact that I've not had any issues tells me that they are of common sense and civility. If you don't like it here then simply play somewhere else. If you choose to stay then follow the rules. Not only those of the TOS, but of the basic rules we learn in kindergarten...play nice!!

Ken - fine job.

Thanks for what you do.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Well, Ken, looks like about 80% of the SMC population says you can't go fishin' 24/7 anytime soon...guess your stuck here!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ken, I am mighty proud of SMC and it's moderators/members. I learn new things daily from its forums. I feel the moderators do an outstanding job. They help to maintain the civility/peace/decorum of all the members. They maintain the rules which have promulgated and agreed to by the members. Thank you Ken, and the rest of your brother moderators for helping to maintain this site.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    Oh, come now Rob, what's better than chatting with folks on SMC? Other than perhaps rolling around naked with Scarlett Johansson?

What?....what?....what was that??.......did I hear Scarlett Johansson? What was that?......Now you have my attention..............(ooooooh...naked)
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I use to bisit a couple of the other wwing sites but didn't like the atmosphere, luckily I found the Creek with its civil nature and the mods in place to keep it that way. I figute if there are those who don't like how this site is being operated they can do as I did on the other sites...stop going there.

That said I do thing it is perfecly acceptable for people to ask why a post got yanked and even express their disagreement but also realize that everyone may interpret things differently and respect the moderators decisions.
    David

I think the moderation here is a weeee bit on the uptight side.

I know more people that would post here and enjoy it more if the moderation wasn't tight as a new barbed wire fence. Or Banjo Strings. All five of'em.

I also know a few that are employed directly with manufacturers of several different brands of woodworking tools who would participate here if they didn't have to use their real name AND if the bandwagon didn't get loaded up when somebody has a problem that appears to be the user's fault and the retailer and/or manufacturer is hesitant about writing it off as a warranty claim.

I always have to make certain that I dial back my roughness as though I'm dealing with a 4 year old with self esteem issues when I post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terre Hooks
    I know more people that would post here and enjoy it more if the moderation wasn't tight as a new barbed wire fence. Or Banjo Strings. All five of'em.
    Now don't go pickin on my banjo abilities again
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Iz the donut shop closed up for the night?

I figgered you'd be on the porch with a mason jar and a 5-piece band.

A SmartMan® tole me that I should make the trip to hear the tunes. Maybe we can get that worked out.