119 72.56%
  • Should we keep the Super Moderator

88 53.66%
  • Should we fire the Super Moderator

14 8.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator Complaints Poll

Seems to me The Creek is running as smooth as glass. Our TOS and standards for Moderation are being enforced just as our Members requested the first week we went online.

We are a Member Moderated Community, the majority of threads or messages that we have to edit are reported to us by our Members.

I've heard that we have been accused of being too nice

Grandpa,

Little do the "new" guys know how much you yourself stirred the pot on the Pond. I remember telling Cheryl that you were going to be one of the mods when the Creek first opened. She laughed really BIG and then said that you being a mod was like the fox guarding the hen house. You just keep doing what you are doing and we'll be fine.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ken, I've certainly disagreed with a number of the judgment calls made by moderators over the years, some of them I have expressed publicly, many of my differences of opinion went unshared. The bottom line is that they are judgment calls--if I were doing it, I'm sure there would be just as many others disagreeing with the way I might handle the gray areas of TOS application.

So, keep on keepin' on.

But I'm not putting down my rotten tomato...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Where is the option for "Moderation generally spot-on, with rare lapses in judgment"?

Ken.

I think that you are doing a fine job, as are all of the moderators. I may not agree with alot of things in life, but we have to have a system of rules, and an enforcement mechanism if we are to be a society, relevant to this board as a society.

With respect to the "Sawstop" thread. I didn't learn anything new about the Sawstop, but I was getting ready to submit an application to Washington and Lee law school in Va. I have to admit that it was an interesting read, but I was surprised it wasn't yanked earlier.

I guess I must not be a "pot stirrer" at least publicly. I have apologized for some posts privately though . I don't even know what a "supermoderator" is. Sounds cool though.

Be like the duck Bro', and let it roll off. All things pass in time.

Ken,

Being a moderator is much like being in law enforcement. As soon as a member of the community gets caught breaking the law, it's b**** about the cop that caught him/her. When confronted in person by the official, it's almost always a show the utmost of respect by everyone. The internet is further growing the culture where one is never wrong in their actions or words and it's easy to not feel guilty about our actions when we don't have to personally look at the damage done.

I personally don't know if you're doing a bad, good, or great job. I do know you should be commended for being dedicated to keep at it for the entire duration. The fact that you've taken the time and the interest to create this thread shows your interest, concern, and frustration in performing the thankless moderating duties. Just remember, this place was created with the idea that lack of moderation was not acceptable. Unfortunately, I doubt moderation will ever be a responsibility which gets many thankful responses without stirring the pot to bring them to the surface.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Personally I dont see any thing that is not working or broken so why fix it ?? All seems well to me.

I think that everyone of the members are doing a fine job "moderating" SMC...Ken and the rest of us who chip in just effect the membership's requests most of the time. When we do something unilaterally, it's with the TOS and common sense in mind. Trust me, this place is far different in that respect than other places I've been involved in. A real pleasure...

I think we all owe Ken a nice Bud Light, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Did the thread that (I assume) led to this one disappear into the ether?

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    Did the thread that (I assume) led to this one disappear into the ether?
    Yes. I received notification (I assume as the original poster) that the thread was removed.

Well, that is a shame.

You know, I've been thinking about this thread and it raises an interesting question, namely: what makes for good moderation?

Are there principles we should use in evaluating the quality of moderation (as we have been asked to do by the OP)? What are those standards?

I've got my own thoughts on that, of course, but I'm going to chew on it a bit before I post them. I'd be interested in hearing what other folks think on the topic, though.

What? You don't have anything better to do?

What about a moderator free website??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    What about a moderator free website??
    It's called the "wreck". rec.woodworking. Talk about the ying to this place's yang. That group would send some of these guys into convulsions.

People vote with their feet...

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    Well, that is a shame.

You know, I've been thinking about this thread and it raises an interesting question, namely: what makes for good moderation?

Are there principles we should use in evaluating the quality of moderation (as we have been asked to do by the OP)? What are those standards?

I've got my own thoughts on that, of course, but I'm going to chew on it a bit before I post them. I'd be interested in hearing what other folks think on the topic, though.
    Or perhaps more accurately stated, people vote with their fingers on the keyboards....
    I don't visit many of the other forums much at all, really just the creek and WC, as all of the others are too much for my tastes...
    That said, others may find them perfect... thats what freedom of choice is.
    I don't try to change them, I just go where I feel like I belong...
    just my opinion...
    Roger