Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Frankentool" Skewdom.

"Frankentool" Skewdom.

This is my try for the reign of Skewdom. The peice was made in six peices as you can see and when assembled makes a double bowl one on top of the other. Simple no shine finish. The wood is Dalmation Caspi and the peice assembled is 18 inches tall and 9.5 inches in dia.. I must admit it was the first time I ever sharpened a chisel on both sides, I actually fired a guy for doing that once. We call everything chisels "folmons" here as we never knew the English names. Sorry about the color varience in the photos, the sun was going down fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Jim that is an outstanding entry, very creative how it all goes together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

WOW JIM! You hollowed the inside of those pieces with a skew! Impressive, and our first entry!

Skewdom

The secret is that when you always thought it was done that way it is easier. The only new thing was sharpening both sides.

Chris.......When the discussion was going on about Jim's skew....I warned about his talents! I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner! Jim............Well done!............I fold!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Chris.......When the discussion was going on about Jim's skew....I warned about his talents! I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner! Jim............Well done!............I fold!
    Not allowed. Quitters must forefit a kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I suspect if we gave him a dull dinner fork he'd put out a winner!!
    Let's not encourage any more of Jim's "Meal" pictures...the one from a few days ago was, um...consuming.

-----

Jim -- great work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Let's not encourage any more of Jim's "Meal" pictures...the one from a few days ago was, um...consuming.

-----

Jim -- great work!
    Did he eat a big jungle spider?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Not allowed. Quitters must forefit a kidney.
    Right or left kidney?
    Ken

Jim that is a nice piece. I am guessing you dragged the scew across the bottom insides of the bowl? I dont think you can scew it in there ? can you?

Bob
    I think I got saw dust in my drowers again......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Did he eat a big jungle spider?
    Naa.... see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41084
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bowl bottom

Bob: I guess that is probabaly what we do different here than you guys up there. The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper. Turning wood is nothing but using anything harder than wood to wear it down to the shape you want. The only tool we have with a point is about 3/4 inch wide and the point is used for knocking down rough peices to manageable peices as quickly as possible. Round is in here, I hate catches, they are not healthful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim King
    The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper.
    I guess the franken skew can be called a skewper

Based on the look of the resulting work...Don I'd say it was a "Super Skewper"!
    Ken

I sharpen at least one of my skews as you do and use it the same way its basiclly a scraper if turned on its side ,I prefer an upward slant on the tool when used this way more cutting then scraping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim King
    Bob: I guess that is probabaly what we do different here than you guys up there. The skew I made was sharpened from both sides into a round point to qualify as a skew. It can either be used to simply use the sharp edge to slice or cut off the wood depending on the angle you can get at it or it is very easy to use a scew as what you call a scraper. Turning wood is nothing but using anything harder than wood to wear it down to the shape you want. The only tool we have with a point is about 3/4 inch wide and the point is used for knocking down rough peices to manageable peices as quickly as possible. Round is in here, I hate catches, they are not healthful.
    I think I got saw dust in my drowers again......