Thread: Firewood Workout

Firewood Workout

Anybody else enjoy a good wood pile workout? This 22” Willow Oak has been standing dead on our backyard for a year and we feared for the house every time the wind kicked up. It was too tall for me to take down without hitting the neighbor’s fence, so a local arborist was kind enough to take the top off and drop the main trunk right next to the wood pile for me. Putting up the winter firewood supply has got to be almost as therapeutic as spinning bowls and must burn at least ten times the calories! Gotta love the wedge for this straight grained wood. It's almost as fast as a hydraulic splitter and you don't have to wrestle the rounds into place. I really need to take it easy--my turning muscle is starting to shrink!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got immediately tired just looking at that first picture!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh, the humanity, the bowls!

Oops. You said oak. Nevermind.

Burn it!
    Only the Blue Roads

I used to really enjoy cutting firewood for our wood stove....twenty years ago.
    Now I just turn the thermostat up.

btw, we have a fairly large soft maple in our backyard that your more than welcome to come cut down....you can even keep the wood...

Al

Ted,

Nice wood pile you got going there. I too really like cutting firewood and the warmth that we get from heating with wood in the winter months. Now if I could just find an economical method for cooling the house during the long summer months, I could save a bundle on my utility bill.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Cutting firewood is a great way to clear the mind get and the blood flowing through the body and nothing beats looking at a fresh stack of future warmth.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

You know they say fire wood will heat you 4 times: 1) when you cut it, 2) when you split it, 3) when you stack it, and 4) when you burn it. I still think it's the best heat out there.
    Keel McDonald ><>

8. I actually envy you, I love cutting wood!

Cheers!

I would much rather cut, split, stack wood for 1 1/2 hours a day than ride a bike or "work out" for 20 minutes. Something about seeing an accomplishment for my effort. Exercise for the sake of excercise is a crime.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I haven't even started yet. end of september I'll get to it. And i would rather cut and split all day than pay for propane

I recently cut up two - four foot sections of a pine tree trunk into bowl blanks and thought I was gonna DIE! I can't imagine how I would have felt after what you did.

Nicley stacked, by the way
    Be Blessed

George