Thread: A little help for a wood turner.

A little help for a wood turner.

My church is having a fund raiser for the building fund. It will be a golf tornament. I am thinking of turning some bowl or tall vases to be given out as trouphies. If I do this I would like to have them laser engraved with what the trouphy is for. something like "St. Mary Magdalins First Annual Golf Tournament, 1st place" etc etc. Possibly 6-8 trophies. Any Laser engravers in or near phoenix with alzer and some sort of a rotary thingy ?

Also are there any consideration as to the type of wood to use ?

I guess I could ship them to whoever can do the job so they evgraving can be done enywhere in the country. Another question couple of questions. Is there a maximum size for the rotary attachment? I can turn up to 12" in diameter and 18" tall I envision the largest ones might be 8" diamteer and maybe 6 " tall if I make bowls. Should they be finished prior to engraving, If so is there any finish to avoid ?

Sorry to be a bother but it's August and if I am going to get these done for the October tournament I realy need to get started.

Don....if you can't find someone locally......Contact Creeker Pete Simmons.....see what he recommends and if he'd be willing to do it. He does great work!

Just a satisfied customer!

Also....there is a sticky on the Laser Forum here that lists the star wars folks that are Creekers. You might find someone locally from that list!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd offer to help, but I don't have a rotary attachment. Even if I did, it wouldn't handle anything larger than about 3-4" in diameter...they're intended for things like goblets.

It's going to take a pretty high-end machine to handle big "vase-style" trophies. Here's a thought though: Universal Laser's headquarters is in Scottsdale:
    http://www.ulsinc.com/english/contact.html
    You might try contacting them, they may have a demo machine at the factory that can handle it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks guys. I may end up making bases (flat work.. ) for the trophies if no one can engrave the rounded trophies. Is lighter woods beter for engraving then dark wood?

Maple or Alder give you great contrast. You are correct, lighter wood = better contrast. Other woods can be color-filled though.
    I am in Colorado Springs if you don't find someone closed. No Rotary attachment here but can engrave the flat stuff.
    Or plates that you can attach. Think about anodized aluminum plates that you can attach.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Thanks guys. I may end up making bases (flat work.. ) for the trophies if no one can engrave the rounded trophies.
    That works if the area to be engraved is on the "flat" face of the base: engraving on the edge (straight or beveled) might run into vertical capacity issues, depending on the machine.

One way to handle that problem is attached plates, either anodized aluminum like Bob suggested (you end up with silver lettering on a background of the anodized color) or wood. I've done some stuff with thin (1/64"-1/32") plywood: see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29243. Flat would be easiest...the 1/64" will bend, but I'd have no idea how to attach it securely and compound curves like a typical bowl or vase wouldn't work.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I guess I'll have to make a prototype and post a Pic so I can get the guidance I need. Thanks one and all.

db

Don,
    There is laserable, "bendable" material out there if you really want to have something on the round part. Rowmark makes metallic finish material (but its plactic) that is engraveable with a self stick backing...
    May not be elegant enough for your project, but thought it may be an option other than making a flat base.

Barbara

Don,

Some members with CNC or Laser also have sandblasting capabilities.
    In the case of vases that large it might be the best way to go. Even
    if I had a rotary attachment those wouldn't fit in my machine.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

11. Don,

I can handle those in my laser or CNC. We also have sandcarving capabilities if needed. If you want to get in contact with me please send a PM.

Wil Lambert