OK, this post is some questions and some recent observations.

First, please don't tear into me for my current equipment. I currently own a Delta benchtop jointer, space is a preimium for my 22' X 13' shop that also gives up 3' X 6' for a garden storage space. I need more room!

On my recent project which I need to edge glue 5/4 and 4/4 maple for a head and foot board I noticed a how difficult getting a good edge was. The peices I'm running on the jointer are about 76"-80" in length, this small jointer is only about 26" in length.

Basically, with any jointer you would seem to only be making straight the given length of the tools bed at a given time? On my tool that mean I am only getting a 26" straight pass and moving this along the piece. If I had a 48" bed jointer, I would have much more accurate edges. Is this thinking correct

Also, when running piece through the tool for edge jointer how much downward pressure is needed? Another thing I notice is that on longer pieces the pressure will vary and therefore the cut is varied a bit as well.

Given all this my pieces are coming together but not without many passes on the jointer to get things right, but I'm certain I'm working way too hard to just get an edge ready for glueing. I'm looking into ways to incorporate a 48" 6" jointer but also wanted feedback on this first.

All perspectives are appreciated.