Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Fun Being a Memphian

No Fun Being a Memphian

I want to pull my hair out every time I need wood! The only retail store within 150 miles is Colco and they rip you off four ways.

First, their prices are based on the NHLA pricing and not based on what they paid for it. Next, they only stock S2S and S4S, so the surfacing charge is built into the price. Third, because their stock is all S2S or S4S, you have to buy thicker material than you need to make up for the surfacing. And fourth, if you don't need the entire hunk of tree, they charge you an additional 20% of your total bill.

Arrrggg!

I was looking for some Curly Maple and Padauk. The curly maple was almost $20/bf for 8/4 and the padauk was almost $10/bf for 8/4.

When I needed 25bf of 6/4 cherry for fifty little boxes, it would have ended up being less than half as expensive to buy off the Internet (including shipping). It almost makes me want to start up a business. Luckily, Scott Banbury ended up providing me with the cherry I needed and I was very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for listening.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 02-23-2008 at 1:53 PM. Reason: Added some clarification
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Well, on the other hand - as my wife keeps pointing out, the Tigers are No 1 and undefeated. I guess thats what I get for yapping about the Gators for the last few years.

Isn't NoogaWood (manufacturer's forum) in TN? Forget where tho.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Well, on the other hand - as my wife keeps pointing out, the Tigers are No 1 and undefeated. I guess thats what I get for yapping about the Gators for the last few years.
    I guess if this was a basketball forum, the title of my post would have been a little different. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Isn't NoogaWood (manufacturer's forum) in TN? Forget where tho.
    They're in Chattanooga. I think there's also a mill near Dyersburg. And there's a Woodcraft near Nashville. There's just not a whole lot of choices near Memphis.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

So...why not see if you can get Mike Morgan to head down your way with a big load of lumber or ship you what you need? Prices are right and the material is generally very good. Get together with a few others for a larger order and an even better price, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So...why not see if you can get Mike Morgan to head down your way with a big load of lumber or ship you what you need? Prices are right and the material is generally very good. Get together with a few others for a larger order and an even better price, too.
    Mike's getting ready to ship me some domestic wood. He doesn't carry exotics does he? I've contacted Matt at NoogaWood for an upcoming project.

It's just not as convenient as being able to hop in the car and pick up a board or two from a local dealer. Most of the time I don't need much.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

I feel your pain... but try buying hardwood in New Mexico sometime...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    What do you do? Order in from out of town? Day trip lumber hauls?

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Buying small quantities of exotics is pretty easy from "so many" sources. Hearne Hardwoods, for example, as well as other places will often have "UPS acceptable" bundles in a whole lot of species available. If you are not happy with the one local supplier you have identified, then buy from somewhere else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post

Paul
    I do both internet (Steve Wall Lumber) and local. There are a few suppliers here & in Santa Fe but everything is expensive and the selection is not the greatest. I bought some nice 4/4 lacewood locally a couple of weeks ago at $17.87/bf.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Paul, there is a business in Scottsboro, Alabama that may sell cheaper. They saw their own lumber, and stock a decent selection. It is called "The Hardwood Center". They do have a website, so you can see what they have. While it is a long haul for you, it may be worth your time. They are also looking at setting up several more stores, so all may not be lost.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Hey Bruce,

If you feel like a road trip up I-25 head to Gardner, CO probably about 4 hours each way or so. You will not be disappointed.

Here is there site.

http://www.cswoods.com/index.php

Take care,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post

Paul
    Bruce: have you been to Lumber Products to try to buy hardwood? They do very well on 8/4 hard maple and 4/4 cherry---don't know about all the stuff they have. They have better prices and a better selection that Paxton/Orepak or Albq Hardwoods. Of course, they don't do much exotics, and I think that Woodcraft has that market cornered.

Paul, a (week)day lumber haul would take you to Troy, straight up US 51 from Dyersburg at the intersection with TN21 - to Hanafee Bros. They are big suppliers of both red and white oak, but they also have some great hard maple, cherry, walnut, sasafras, and have great prices. We got red oak there in August for $1.00 bd/ft and the hard maple was $2.05 bd/ft. If you go up there, make sure that Don knows that the Lairds sent you. We saw him earlier this week and his business is hurting, and he wants to sell some lumber!! Take a BIG truck when you go, then turn around and sell it---

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Paul, I know it is 1-1/2 hours from you, but Bennett Lumber in Tuckerman, AR has really good prices on domestics. I am not sure if they have exotics or not. You could give them a call. Really nice guys. The have FAS rough lumber, so the issues you are talking about with Colco would not be a problem. They may even deliver over close to where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Buying small quantities of exotics is pretty easy from "so many" sources. Hearne Hardwoods, for example, as well as other places will often have "UPS acceptable" bundles in a whole lot of species available. If you are not happy with the one local supplier you have identified, then buy from somewhere else.

Jim, you never ever say UPS to someone that lives in Memphis....

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Paul, a (week)day lumber haul would take you to Troy, straight up US 51 from Dyersburg at the intersection with TN21 - to Hanafee Bros. They are big suppliers of both red and white oak, but they also have some great hard maple, cherry, walnut, sasafras, and have great prices. We got red oak there in August for $1.00 bd/ft and the hard maple was $2.05 bd/ft. If you go up there, make sure that Don knows that the Lairds sent you. We saw him earlier this week and his business is hurting, and he wants to sell some lumber!! Take a BIG truck when you go, then turn around and sell it---

Nancy
    I knew about Hanafee Bros, but haven't yet made the two hour drive up there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gunn View Post
    Paul, I know it is 1-1/2 hours from you, but Bennett Lumber in Tuckerman, AR has really good prices on domestics. I am not sure if they have exotics or not. You could give them a call. Really nice guys. The have FAS rough lumber, so the issues you are talking about with Colco would not be a problem. They may even deliver over close to where you are.
    Hadn't hear of Bennett. Hmm. Google says it's 2-1/2 hours going through Jonesboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Jim, you never ever say UPS to someone that lives in Memphis....
    LOL

For ground, I still think UPS is better than FedEx, though FedEx has been getting better over the last few years.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker