Thread: Suggestions for Workbench Power Strip

Suggestions for Workbench Power Strip

My new shop will have benches mounted on the walls. The will run a total of 20 feet, and I'll need 110 power outlets at various points.

What is the safest and most handy approach? Is dust a concern at the outlets? Specific product names would be appreciated.

I have 2 20-amp 110 circuits in this newly built large garage. Most of my bigger machines (TS, BS, DC) run on 220, so there won't be much of a load on the 2 available circuits. Service box is on exterior of wall where benches will be mounted, but I would prefer to run flex with solid wires from 3 existing 110 outlets positioned at 4' high along bench walls.

Occasional use of hand-held power tools and a 3.5hp router and 1 hp drill press will be the only power demand.

Gary Curtis

gary, although not pretty i like 4" deap boxes connected with 3/4" emt spaced every 5` surface mounted with two recepticles in each box..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Gary, I can't tell whether you're talking about using plug-in power strips or adding new permanently wired receptacles. By "flex with solid wires," do you mean type NM cable (Romex), flexible conduit (which should really use stranded wire), or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    gary, although not pretty i like 4" deap boxes connected with 3/4" emt spaced every 5` surface mounted with two receptacles in each box..02 tod
    I agree with Tod, I have the same set up in my basement shop. I drop the emt down from the ceiling, this gives you a lot of flexibility - change is inevitable!

For equipment cord drops, I use 14 gauge, type SJ or similar cord with quality cord ends. The 4" boxes make wiring and expansion easier.

Larry

If the bench is against the wall, and won't move, I like plugmold along the front. You get lots of outlets, and you don't have power cords draping across the bench top like you get from outlets on the wall.

Ive seen this from wiremold ,
    The Plugmold ® Tough power strip features a diamond plate exterior that makes a visual design statement on your workbench, garage or anywhere else in your home. You can bring 10 outlets to wherever you need it. It’s rugged, easy to handle and even easier to install. Simply mount, plug into an existing power source and you’re done. Your workbench and garage will never look better. Put lots of power where you need it most. Plugmold Tough – tough working and good looking
    http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...ough/index.asp

workbench power strips

Kent, I'm asking about permanent hard-wired fixtures. What brands and where to place it.

Gary

Not to change the subject, but..What would you guys do about say a TS in the middle of the room?

How would you bring power to that other than an extension cord from the wall?

Do they make flat wire?
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Navarro
    Not to change the subject, but..What would you guys do about say a TS in the middle of the room?

How would you bring power to that other than an extension cord from the wall?

Do they make flat wire?
    julio, pull power alongside your dust hook-up.....dust collection is the problem just follow it with power. if the dust collection is permanente then hardwire the power, if you`re using flex hose use so cord....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Gary, I bought this power strip at one of the Borgs when I built my bench. I made a small box and mounted it as a separate piece onto the back. I’ll remove it if I ever have a shop large enough to put my bench in the middle. I have never lacked for power when doing bench work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney