Thread: Planer blade set up tool?

Planer blade set up tool?

Seems to me I remember a tool that would hold your dial indicator so you could adjust the blade height on a planer??

I think it looked like the U shaped one that has the magnets on it.

OR any other suggestions?

Not having much luck making one out of wood.

Al

Planer Pals
    Bob

Al, like Robert notes, "Planer Pals" is the way to go, albeit, they're not there to hold your dial indicator. They are a fixed setup type of jig, to help ensure all the blades are kept equidistant from the surface of the cutter-head. An alternative to the "Planer Pal" is this type, which I purchased from WC shortly after getting my big Yorkie:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4973 IMHO, it works great!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

After spending way more than a few minutes on the web, looks like a device to hold a dial indicator is gonna be tough to find, the unit at woodcraft looks like the next best thing, thanks.

Gonna kill me to use it, but I probably will never see the difference...

Al

Well...wasn't to happy with the set up tool Woodcraft has, nice unit but the nutziod newbie here just wasn't happy...so back home and one 2x3" alum box cannel, one block of wood, couple of self drillers, 1/4" nut and bolt, a bit of work with the sawsall, files and a bit of field adjustment, I now have a holder that does not rock on the cutter holder....whew

All blades are with in .0015 (ya I know, I'm slipping) and their is happyness in mudville again....well least till I set the rest of the planer...anyway its close enough I'm starting my shop/garage tool cabinet this week and then the miter saw cabinet.

Finally making something that looks like wood work....bout time.

I have to come up with something wood fairly soon, wife comes out to the garage, looks around and says, well....all that money and no kitchen cabinets yet?????

Al they just don't understand....do they??

so al, have you measured any wood that has come out of your planer yet?
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Ya Todd, it was .0005 off, may have to redo the entire planer......JUST KIDDING....

No, at work this week is 11-7pm for me, and doubt I'll get to cutting till Friday, thurs being last golf league night and tonight her highness wants to go out to eat...something about payback for dragging her to woodcraft for just a minute or 90...

Got the plans for a tool cabinet off the web, and I have a bunch of either Basswood or select Pine to make it out of, not sure if Basswood is strong enough, seems kinda light.
    Pine is ready to go, so I'd like to use the Basswood as that needs planing, hate to see it fall off the wall because its to weak though...?

Al I can see it now....Yes honey, my first wood working project with all my new tools just fell off the wall...what?.....no I'm not kidding....sell them?..... no dear, I'd rather not...but honey.....