Thread: Attaching Pics Question

Attaching Pics Question

I can attach pics with no problem, my questions is about the size. I have to scale the size down to fit under the 107.8 kb size. I am guessing other people have to do that as well.....

....so why are others pictures larger than mine are? Some setting with the camera? I just have noticed if you click on a thumbnail I posted it not real large, but others are easier to see after you click on the thumbnail.

Suggestions?? Thanks

Size in pixels and file size are not the same thing...the first is the physical dimensions of the picture. I recommend no wider than 700 pixels and I usually do 640 pixels wide. This keeps folks from having to scroll their browser windows. File size has to do with "compression". Compression is a method that removes "unnecessary" information from the file based on some mathematical formulas. It may also be called "quality" in your photo software. By adjusting the compression of a JPG file, you can get your file size down to 30-90kb, depending on content and color depth, while maintaining a 640 pixel wide picture on the display.

Oh, and you usually don't do this at the camera, although you can in some cases. Shoot at "full resolution" and do your pixel size and file size manipulations on the computer using software like Adobe PhotoShop Elements or even some of the free-ware available. (I like the former as it also allows a lot of other manipulations to improve the quality of photos, especially after size reduction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I will have to see what picture software I have and instead of making the picture smaller I will try to find the compression/quality setting in that program. That might be all I am needing to keep the pictures larger just at a smaller file size. Shouldn't hurt the picture that much by making the quality less.

Testing testing 123...

This is only a test to see if I can get this to work, and my first post.
    shop 1.jpg
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Response 123......

Works good to me Jude!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Are we allowed to use the sawmill server for pic storage? I have been using another site and want to make sure I havent broke any rules.

Thanks, Joe

Joe, it is preferable for photos you include in threads to be hosted at SMC so they remain in the posts. When one links to photos at another site, there is the risk that they might "go away" if the site goes away or the user's account at the remote site is closed down. That means that folks in the future would not see the valuable information contained in the pictures. Putting them on SMC means they stay with the posts..."forever", as it were.

Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't also post them elsewhere for other purposes. I certainly do that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My guess is that it's also frowned upon to post them here and then add a link on another site to the pic stored here. Bandwidth issues and all.
    Only the Blue Roads

Is there a post-a-picture tutorial here somewhere?

From a computer challenged person
    Carol in NV

This forum - third sticky down.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks for the info Jim.

Joe