Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need advice before I ruin a bowl gouge

Thanks W.C., I think I hear what you're saying--i.e. that if I didn't want a convex profile, I could have ground more of the area halfway between the tip and the side of the flute. What I did with the 1/2" gouge was to take off the corners at the top, then simply grind it until I got a consistent edge. At that point, I had my edge and it happened to be a convex profile, and to be honest I was tired of grinding. The more I think about it, the more useful the convex profile seems. Obviously I'm a rank newbie with all of this so when I get a few more bowls to my name maybe if I'm lucky I'll have learned a few things.

I sure appreciate all of you guys taking the time to help me yesterday. Now I'm gonna see what kind of trouble I can get into today.

Mark

AAW Sharpening Video

The AAW has a good video on sharpening. In it, John Jordan shows how to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
    wcturner
    in Hopkinsville, Ky.

"Knowledge Is Power"

"Git R Done"

3. Hello and thanks for a very informative thread. Could you post a pic of the tool in the jig at the grinder? I still have trouble getting the right grind.

Kenny, here is where you can download instructional videos for the Wolverine jig and accessories.
    http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/...ine_videos.htm

I put both gouges to use last night and turned a small bowl from maple. I ran out of time before I could complete it (yeah I know picture police no pics it didn't happen), but all I have left is to turn the tenon off. This piece of maple has a defect and I kept waiting for it to explode, but it never did. I had a severe catch at one point and realized I had to use shear scraping or simply give up and toss it.

The 1/2" gouge with the convex profile worked beautifully, beyond my expectations. I was truly amazed at its cutting capabilities. The 1/4" gouge with the straight profile was a disappointment. I could hardly cut with it at all. I'm going to work with it some more and I may be returning to the grinder with it to form the convex profile I made with my 1/2" gouge.

Mark