Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Garage/Workshop (Long)

Frank, things are looking good. Sorry about the weather. Wednesday looks like a good day on the forecast map, hopefully everything hold up.

Ragards

Randy

Good progress, Frank. Sorry you are having rain slow down your progress. It's rained all day here today, and we are loving it!!! Low 80's yesterday with a hint of rain, but nothing materialized. I worked in the shop from 10:00 to 5:30 building a blast gate that will double as a quik disconect for the TS down pipe. Had to make a jig for my router to cut the circle the right size. It's so tight I have to hammer the pipe into it! Won't be long before you are working on shop projects. Keep it up! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Frank et al,

Long range weather forecasters in Australia are predicting an early start to our warm months (remember Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere therefore everything is in reverse here; ie your summer = our winter). The average temperature in August for Melbourne was 7 degrees celcius higher than the mean and we are also suffering from a shortage of rain.

Water restrictions have already kicked in thus limiting household water consumption. For example, no automated water sprinkler systems can be used, only hand held watering devices etc etc.

Climate change is definitely more pronounced globally - look at what Katrina did to you guys last year. And over here its getting hotter and drier. Our farmers are already crying out for some break in the weather to allow them to sow seed.

Send some of that rain down here will ya!

Sorry for the off-topic rant...

Rich
    Last edited by Rich Stevens; 09-04-2006 at 7:42 PM.

I have finally fallen in favor of the weather gods and progress has been made!

Tuesday's forecast was 80% chance of rain, but it never did. After waiting around for most of the day trying to figure out what the weather was going to do, I was able to recruit another friend of mine (Eric) late in the afternoon to help me finish hanging the 5 remaining barge rafters. Surprisingly, we were able to knock these out in about 2 hours. With some daylight left, we scrambled to start prepping the backside of the roof for shingling. By 7:30pm, we had 3 courses of shingles run. Eric came back this morning around 7am and we were able to finish the backside of the roof by noon. After lunch, we began work on the front side of the roof and called it a day around 4pm when we ran out of Ice & Water shield for the valleys. Despite the beautiful weather, the sun was actually making things difficult, especially when installing the Ice & Water shield. It turns the stuff into a hot gluey substance that sticks to everything. This is definitely a product you want to install in the shade or before the sun hits the roof.

P1000681.jpgP1000682.jpgP1000683.jpg

continued...

The next 2 days are supposed to be clear, so between Eric and I, we should be able to finish the roof by tomorrow without too much difficulty.

I know, I know...I'm not wearing my Personal Fall Arrestor in the pictures...the rope was actually causing more of a risk to Eric since it would follow me around and trip him or get in his way. So instead, we installed a lot of roof jacks and planks to work off of and we were fine. I think having more than one person on the roof with this system can be more of a hazard than not. Now that the shingles are installed, traction has improved over the bare plywood and staying attached to the roof is a little less of a challenge. We left the roof anchor installed on the peak so if I ever had to do any repair work in the future, I'd have some level of safety. I also broke down and rented some 29" scaffodling which we used for installing the barge rafters on the East side of the garage (only 3 feet from neighbors fence makes using a ladder a problem) and for installing the shingles on the eves and the siding in the gables. This additional expense should also speed thinges up a bit.

P1000684.jpgP1000686.jpgP1000687.jpgP1000688.jpg

I will post some more pictures tomorrow once the roof is complete.

Terrific work Frank and Eric!!!!

It looks excellent..... a roof provides a great sense of relief against the elements....well done!

Be safe and thanks for the story.........

Well...I promised finished pictures today, but unfortunately, I ran out of shingle caps for the ridge at about 8 feet shy of completion. Of course, this occured at 7:30pm, just before dark, so I had to call it a day. I will pick up some more tomorrow morning and post final pictures.

Eric stuck around till about 4:30pm, and many thanks to him, we were able to knock this roof out in two days time. It would've taken me at least twice that long if I had to do it alone. Eric did almost of the nailing while I wrestled bundles of shingles up on the roof and kept the supply chain moving. Roofing is brutal work and my hat is off to those who do it for a living.

P1000689.jpg

More pictures to come tomorrow...
    Last edited by Frank Snyder; 09-17-2006 at 4:51 PM.

Finally...the roof is complete! I finished up the caps this morning and installed the five awning windows. It's supposed to rain all weekend, but at least I can still get some work done inside the garage now that it is "dried out". I need to start working on the brackets for the barge rafters and install the beadboard under the eves. Once the entry and garage door have been delivered, I will install them and begin siding, hopefully no later than next week. Stay tuned...

P1000691.jpgP1000692.jpgP1000693.jpg

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO! Looks great! Is the space inside going to be as usable as you hoped for when designing it? Now, take your drawings and decide where all the equipment is going to go, then mark for where the electrical gets installed. Keep at it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Looks great, Frank. No window in the gable ends for the attic?

Hey Frank,

Looks great. I am amazed at your rate of progress and embarrassed at mine. I have taken more time painting the walls and ceiling and deciding which shelves to put where than you have taken to build/frame/roof your shop!

Bob
    bob m

Thanks, guys, for the encouragement. It helps tremendously.

Jim - Having had what I had prior to this, I am truly ecstatic about having any space at all to call my own. I spent some time with Sketchup laying out which tools go where and I think I have a good plan. I wrestled with the whole single-function vs. multi-function equipment argument before I began this project. In the end, I decided to stick with single-function machines even though they take up more space. The worst part is that they're still in their crates and have been sitting in storage since April...talk about having to wait for Christmas. I'm also considering surface mounting all of the electrical in conduit...I haven't decided for sure just yet. My panel is too deep for a wall cavity, so it has to be surface mounted. I still have some time before I need to decide.

Art - You know...I wanted to put something in the gables but when you add the frieze boards, casing, and the brackets, proportions dictate something of a size so small that it negates the whole purpose. I considered a little access door for loading lumber, but there's not a whole lot of room to work with. Again, I just couldn't fit something in there that made sense and looked balanced.

Bob - Just wait until I get to the stage where you're at...I'm sure I'll come to a screeching halt and kill a bunch of time trying to decide what color to paint the walls. There's still a long way to go before I get to that point.

congratulations frank! a roof is a major milestone. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Frank,

Any new updates?

Regards

Randy

hi frank

gee, somehow I missed this whole thread. looking very good indeed. its too bad you have to park the car in that nice new shop of yours

best wishes
    lou