Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Garage/Workshop (Long)

Looking good Frank.

Terrific Frank..............good stuff!

Just think, you'll be able to mow the yard in 9 minutes .......

What yard?

You are moving right along...Looking good. Enviously, JO
    Jerry

Howdy yall! Well...it's been a fairly productive week. I was able to finish framing the last three walls on Monday and I raised them on Tuesday with some help from my neighbor. I sent him home with a six-pack of Sam Adams. I decided to leave the header out of the garage door wall until after it was raised. I figured the 200 lbs. LSL would make the wall too top heavy for us to lift. I ended up lifting the header over my head and setting it into place by myself once the wall was in place. No easy feat for a skinny guy like me.

continued...P1000633.jpgP1000635.jpgP1000636.jpgP1000637.jpgP1000638.jpg

On Wednesday, I started installing the CJ's and finished them up on Thursday. I began installing the cross-bridging until I was about half-way through when I noticed my joists were beginning to take on a very pronounced curvature. It appeared that my store bought cross-bridging was undercut just enough to alter the space between the joists from 14-1/2" to 14". So, I had to knock out all of the cross-bridging I had installed, and reinstall it using a spacer block and some Jorgie's. While time consuming, this method produced much better results.

Tomorrow I will tack some 3/4" subflooring on top of my CJ's and begin framing out the gable walls. If all goes well, I should be ready to begin work on the roof by Sunday. The scuttle hole is for the pull-down attic stairs.

P1000639.jpgP1000641.jpgP1000642.jpgP1000643.jpgP1000644.jpg
    Last edited by Frank Snyder; 08-18-2006 at 5:18 PM.

Frank,

Great job, I am amazed at your progress - it took me longer to paint my shop than you to build yours. Keep the pics coming.

Bob
    bob m

I'm amazed at the speed of this project without a crew!!! Great job.

Lots of effort today, but not too much to show for it. My wife and I moved all of the 3/4" subflooring on top of the ceiling joists and I screwed down a few sheets where I needed to work. I began framing out the smallest of the three gable walls, thinking I could just build it on the subflooring and raise it into place. Once built, I raised it and set it into place, but the bottom plate had somehow turned into an arch and I couldn't get it to flatten out due to the length of the studs. I really screwed that one up.

So, I had to disassemble that wall and try it again. This time, I just attached the center stud to the bottom plate, then set that into place and attached it to the top plate of the wall. I then plumbed the center stud and reattached the flanking angle top plates to the center stud. I then decided to cut two rafters and set them on top of the plates and clamp them to the gable top plates so that they straightened out. Once clamped, I remeasured for each stud, cut to length, then toenailed into place. This took a lot longer, but again, the results were on the number. I also left a slot to accept the ridge board and I notched out the rafters for the lookouts which will help support the 2x10 barge rafters.

So in actuality, I built two walls today, but I just have one to show for it.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I can get the last two gable walls put together without any hitches. I have a friend coming out tomorrow to help me get the 28 foot ridge board in place (after I get the last two gable walls done) and I hope we can make more progress than I did today.

P1000645.jpgP1000646.jpgP1000647.jpgP1000650.jpgP1000651.jpg

Dan: No crew, really. Just me, my wife, and my neighbor when we need some muscle. This is my first time framing and my only knowledge is from the Fine Homebuilding books I've read over the past few months.

Bob: Thanks, Bob. This project is really only going at the pace it is going because I'm working on it full-time. If I had to juggle this and a full-time job, I'd pay someone else to build it for me.
    Last edited by Frank Snyder; 08-24-2006 at 11:28 AM.

I am very impressed at your first attemnpt at framing. You are doing a great job, better than the framing crews around these parts! I taught myself how to build much like you did although I did take a building trades class in school once.

The shop is comin' along great. The mistakes are bound to happen...I still make 'em from time to time. Keep up the good work!

Excellent Frank! Your going to have a great shop there. I am jealous!

Corey

You ought to be congratulated, Frank

Frank,

I am amazed with the attention to detail you're giving your project. Judging by the photos you've posted, its easy to see the quality of workmanship gonig into it. I would gladly pay you to come build something like this for me one day (not likely though unless you plan to live in Australia).

What's even better is that you're self-taught.

Without wanting to 'put-down' carpenters generally (as there are some good ones around), I am often disgusted by the slap-bang jobs on residential building sites. My wife and I are in the process of designing a house we want built later this year and I cringe at the thought of the level of 'workmanship' I have to accept as the norm when we contract out the work to a 'quality' builder.

Good luck with your project - and keep those photos coming.

Rich
    Melb, Australia

How right you are Rich. There are very few craftsman carpenters left in this world. I see more shabby work daily than I'd like to.

2x10 barge rafters?

frank,

great work. i hope you had a chance to check out fine homebuilding's framing videos with larry haun. he is the real deal and breaks framing down so anyone could do it. i just question using 2x10 barge rafters (also called fly rafters). in our area, southeastern virginia, we typically use 2x6 fly rafters to match up with either wood or vinyl wrapped cornice. for wood cornice we use 1x8 for fascia, 3/8" plywood for soffit, 3 1/2" crown, and 1x6 freeze. the 2x6 fly allows for a 3/4" or so reveal from the bottom of the 1x8 fascia to the soffit. for vinyl we leave off the soffit and crown but the fasica and freeze are the same dimensions. our vinyl subcontractor warns against running metal (pvc coated or smooth aluminium) over 8". it tends to look wavy regardless of how careful you are during installation. you will also need to notch the ends of your ridge board to accomindate 2x6 flys. good luck and keep us posted.

jud

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words. I really don't know what I'm doing...I'm just taking my time to figure things out as I go and learn from my mistakes.

I had a friend come out today to help me finish the gable walls and get the ridge board in place. I'm running the rafter tails longer than they will be...I thought I'd wait until all the rafters are installed, snap a line across them equidistant from the ridge then cut them to their final length. I hope to get the rest of the rafters in place tomorrow and get the valley/jack rafters cut for the intersecting roof lines. I should be ready to sheath the roof by Wednesday and hopefully begin installing shingles by the weekend.

P1000652.jpgP1000653.jpgP1000654.jpgP1000655.jpg

Rich: I don't know if my workshop is a fair comparison with present day builders...because I'm building this for myself, I take whatever time and use whatever resources I need to do this job the best way I can. It's a personal thing and a pride thing. Present day builders/contractors make their living by building things as quickly as they can. The longer they take, the less money they make, so the workmanship is often compromised. Framing gets covered with sheathing or sheetrock, so no one sees what corners they cut, and as long as they pass their inspections, it becomes acceptable practice. I'm not building this workshop to make a profit, so I can spend all sorts of time figuring things out and use time consuming building techniques.

Jud: Thanks for the video tips. I will see if my library has those. My house is of the Craftsman bungalow style, and it has 2x10 barge rafters and structural 4x4 brackets which support them. The lookouts will add additional support but will not be the main support for these 2x10 barge rafters. The eves are all open with exposed rafter tails. There's also wainscotting underneath the eves between the rafters. This isn't how they typically finish eves and soffits around here on new houses, but it is in keeping with the architectural style of my house.