Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stuff you SHOULD NEVER try to laser

Here's your pic Barbara. This is a smaller version, the actual installation template was close to 36x36 and I did it in 3 pieces, taped together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Could you mean this
    http://www.nilno.com/laser_intro/optics.html
    Search the page for "polarizer"
    Jeremy, actually, no, what I saw was a post on a forum somewhere that was talking about cutting different types of metals and the problems with each, with aluminum specifically being mentioned as having a big problem with reflections back through the beam path.

Joe is right

Hello

Joe is right the beam can bounce back and were it goes and how powerful it is is anybodies guess. With the 35 watt down your risk is lower but wires and hoses could be at risk. Above 35 the risk goes up I just don't have much time with my 35 watt yet to know.

On my metal cutting lasers you better be on your toes. 10 years ago on our 1500 watt machine we were cutting copper the beam reflected off the surface went back up and cooked the focus lens. It was in 3 pcs when I took it out. When we got our 2600 watt machine we ask the service man about copper, he said that if you were not living right the beam could go all the way back into the tubes and due severe damage. On that machine the resornator is $60,000.00 not worth the risk. He also said it may never happen but it could happen 1 minute from now. On the bigger machines they have a power meter which is supposed to see the extra power and shut down but will it do it before damage ?????

Good luck

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Minton
    Hello

On my metal cutting lasers you better be on your toes. 10 years ago on our 1500 watt machine we were cutting copper the beam reflected off the surface went back up and cooked the focus lens. It was in 3 pcs when I took it out. When we got our 2600 watt machine we ask the service man about copper, he said that if you were not living right the beam could go all the way back into the tubes and due severe damage.
    John
    John,

I contacted a local guy to cut something for me that was too big to fit in my 12"x24" laser. It was Romwark Lasermax laminated onto 1/4" black acrylic. He said they couldn't do it, because the Rowmark would melt,
    on his machine with 1500 watts. Don't those have a power setting low enough for that? (had to send it to a CNC guy)

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

plastic

Joe

I believe he is thinking that with the romark on top and enough power to to cut thru 1/4 he will mess up the romark. Can he cut the 2 pcs seperate and you bond them after. Or maybe run with romark down he will have to be very careful about flashback damage on the romark. Most people with high power lasers have not had much practice with turning their machines down low. Hope this helps If I can be of anymore help just let me know.

John

Thanks, I was just curious. He said they mostly cut metal and thicker acrylic. I got really good results with the CNC, the edges are just not as nice.

Sammamish, WA

Yes, it burns beautifully!

Necrothread

Quote Originally Posted by Meagan Britz View Post
    Yes, it burns beautifully!
    I noticed this thread is 14 years old.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”