Thread: Forrest Sharpening - Very Satisfied Customer

Forrest Sharpening - Very Satisfied Customer

Hey Gang,

A few weeks back I asked about peoples experiences using Forrest to resharpen tablesaw blades. I took the plunge and sent off a Freud combo blade.

The people I contacted at Forrest were helpfull and quite professional...and more importantly I can honestly say the blade cuts better now than when it did new. I compared the cut quality on scraps from four years ago (new blade) to freshly cut pieces. The new pieces a smooth as glass, the old show some cut marks.

Forrest will be receiving the rest of my blades for resharpening!

Tom

Glad to hear this because they probably received my blade today. I'm hoping it will be back in a a week or two.

Tom, I'm a new believer myself.

I bought a WWII blade from Ebay for what I thought was a good price. The pitch line: "Only used once, no missing teeth..." When I got it, it looked like it was used more than once, and while it had all it's teeth, on of them was cracked so bad that the blade was virtually unusable.

I decided to get it serviced (so much for my good deal). It took about a week and a half turn around and cost me ~$30, with service, repair, and shipping included.

It cuts like a dream! I read about how at some WW shows, the demo would cut halfway into some wood, just sit there for a minute or so, and then finish the cut, all with no burning. Decided for laughs to give it a shot - no joke! Performed using Eastern White Pine, Jatoba and Ipe, all with no burning or splintering!

Though I'm new to woodworking, a recurring theme I keep discovering is, "put your money into your cutters". Getting Forrest blades (I have a 12" Chopmaster, too) and using their service is money well spent.

Cheers,
    Jesse

So.....help me out here, please.............

If you send in a Freud blade to Forrest for sharpening, you get back a blade with Forrests grind on it. So doesn't that effectively give you a Forrest blade? Maybe now you have a "Frerrest" blade or maybe a "Forud"?

Just wondering.......
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

So as I am reading this I am amazed they will sharpen other brands.

I had two quotes today locally, 29 and 32 dollars for a 32 and 80 tooth.

Maybe I need to send an e-mail to forrest?

Yes, Joe...you do need to contact them.

I've been pleased by their sharpening a number of times. The only reason I wouldn't use them is if I moved out west near Phoenix...then I'd use Scotts Sharpening Service. (He's an SMC member, BTW) But that's unlikely to happen, so my friends in NJ will get the business as usual when I need it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    So.....help me out here, please.............

If you send in a Freud blade to Forrest for sharpening, you get back a blade with Forrests grind on it. So doesn't that effectively give you a Forrest blade? Maybe now you have a "Frerrest" blade or maybe a "Forud"?

Just wondering.......
    You'll get a FORREST grind on whatever blank you send them .. .. in this case, the host blade (FREUD) is very similar in quality so the blade should be exceptional. Now, if you send in a VERMONT AMERICAN, they will put the best grind possible on a lesser quality blade, so what you get back will be better than new, but it won't be a FORREST.

Make sense ?? ?? ??

For what it's worth, I drove directly to Forrest (there only 20 minutes away) and got ww2 custom .. I love it! while I was there they talked to me about my woodworking, and my needs, I guess to ensure I got a blade I would be happy with. Then they gave me a hat, woodworking posters,a hardcover woodworking shop reference book, and 20 dollar cuopons towards thier sharpining service. I've since went back and got their 6'' dado set, very happy with both.

how much do the charge to sharpen a blade?

Adding to Dave Lehnert's question, what was the total cost, including shipping both ways, to sharpen your blade? What was the diameter and number of teeth on your blade? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert
    how much do the charge to sharpen a blade?
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Your not far from Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    Adding to Dave Lehnert's question, what was the total cost, including shipping both ways, to sharpen your blade? What was the diameter and number of teeth on your blade? Thanks.

I believe Scotts sharpening service is in Surprise...
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    I just sent a WWII back to Forrest, as it need some dental work. They replaces three tips, did standard grind, plus top grind. Total costs including freight both ways was $52 and some change. For blades other than WWII, I would use Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. Much cheaper and very good work.