Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lions Club International line art or vector

Lions Club International line art or vector

Hi folks,

Does any know where I can get a decent line art or vector of the Lions Club International logo to laser on anodized aluminum ?

Thanks, Dean

Is this the one? I have a few versions, use them for sponsorship banners.
    It's an eps zipped.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Here's another. CDR v.11

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. Dean

Lion's Club Logo

Dean...I am a Lion's Club member and do work for our chapter. Just a word of caution about the copyright thing, Lions Club International is very watchful for non licensed items. They sell a lot of things (overpriced) on their website. I wouldn't worry about local stuff, but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

Regards
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-03-2006 at 8:47 AM. Reason: removed link to web site in signature line = TOS violation
    J W Lehman
    ULS 35W - Corel X3 - Adobe Illustrator CS2

Good point Jeff. I thought of that but it doesn't seem likely that he's going to market Lions Club logo keychains on the internet, most likely it's a job for the local chapter. This might be a good reminder though that if someone walks in and asks for the Harley Davidson Logo engraved on the back of their husband's leather jacket, or the Coke logo engraved on an acrylic mirror for their son's birthday, you have to pass, or can get sued for copyright infringement. People will say "I won't tell anyone where I got it". The chance of getting caught on that sort of thing is low, unless you do market products with unlicensed logos, but it's still unethical and not worth the risk.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

There is some organization I read about, I can't remember who (maybe VFW?), where even the local chapters are not allowed to have items engraved locally with the logo unless they first get written permission from the head office (on a case by case, item by item basis). I think it's because the head office charges a fee to anyone printing the logo, even when it's being printed for a local chapter.

... and asks for the Harley Davidson Logo engraved on the back of their husband's leather jacket
    You can't even do that for the local Harley dealer.

It's not always fee related. Logos are the property of the headquarters entity and are rightfully carefully protected. I reproduce a lot of logos but always with valid authorization.

Even with the federal govt. you technically need approval to use the various military logos. I've never been turned down but if you got hold of a hot item and didn't have approval I suspect there would be a hairy issue.

In the case of the Lions Club, local chapters have the authorization to use the logo for awards, etc. I do a substantial part of my business with sororities, specifically, national headquarters. And here there is a fee issue but they are also protective of their logo and don't want it mis-used.

In the engraving business there's a big controversy as to whether you can make shop samples using "unauthorized" logos. I do because I'm not selling them but others are very reluctant even to do that.

Technically you can violate trademark laws even without selling the samples, though chances of litigation are small. But Disney did go after a daycare center that painted the Mickey Mouse logo on their wall.

That's true, too. Theoretically to do a "sale" sign for the Harley dealer with
    the logo on it I should be provided with written permission from them. In reality though, a dealer is represents the company and therefore is considered by most of us as having permission since they asked for it. H.D. may be a bad example because they actually tried to copyright the sound of the exhaust.

Sammamish, WA

Logo Suits

Hey at one time I worked for a business that was named Cars R Us and Toys R Us came a knocking out here in the cornfield... LOL
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

It's sort of a gray area when it comes to "personal use". Using a logo as a sample at the shop is not selling it, but could make you money if people see it and are impressed with your work. It's just not very likely that someone representing a fortune 500 corporate office would ever step into my shop and see it, much less prosecute. I could be in trouble though, if I used it in advertising. Mickey Mouse painted on the wall at a day care center is clearly using that copyrighted material for financial gain since it is used in the business to entertain the "clients." They would be better off buying a licensed poster and mounting it on the wall.

Sammamish, WA

logos

I have a customer who designs kitchens for hotels. He had the chance to quote Disney for one of their hotels. He thought it would look nice to add Mickey & Minnie to his quote to Disney.

Two days later he got a call from a Disney lawyer. He told him not to do it again and that Disney did not want to own his company.

John

As a matter of fact....

Learned it in a marketing class one time that a company actually has the legal obligation to protect it's name and other copyright/trademark information from becoming "generic" or they could risk losing rights to it. For example I believe it was Thermos and/or Xerox that were actually very close to losing the copyright of their name as it had become generic. If I recall correctly they were given a period of time by a judge to make the public aware that their name was theirs and theirs alone and that even using the name to refer to other products made by other manufacturers was not permitted.

Just another "useless piece" of information from Marketing class (a few moons ago) that I thought I would never use again. Funny thing is I have since used so much info from that class!
    Last edited by Pat Kearney; 08-04-2006 at 11:42 AM.
    Pat
    JOMA Engraving, Epilog Helix 35 Watt, Corel X3

Not to prolong this but my recollection was that it was Kleenex and Formica.

Having spent many years as a marketing person with a very large consumer products group I can say with some certainty that in most cases, dealers for a brand or manufacturer are encouraged to use the logo for marketing purposes.

Most companies go so far as to provide instructions and various applications of the logos which are permissible. We provided back and white art as well as color with pms colors listed to all dealers and distributors. Common practice among consumer products companies.

But I can understand the Disney situation.