Thread: Adobe Illustrator CS2 and Laser Engraving

Smile Adobe Illustrator CS2 and Laser Engraving

I use Adobe Illustrator CS2 with a pinnacle 40watt laser. I have been experimenting with black marble and I am having problems getting th eimage to come out properly. I used 100 speed, 35 power and the image itself comes out looking "wrong". I have used these same settings through Microsoft paintbrush and get much better results. Of course the problem with paintbrush is that it is difficult to size items. I have had very good luck with Illustrator for my other projects. Anyone have experience on using illustrator for engraving photos on marble?

Check out other threads here in respect of Photoengraving. The graphics package you use is not that relevant in terms of what you want to do , its how the GCC driver interprets the results. (look at the recent post on "Huge Files" for a lot more info http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39439 )
    If you could post a pic of the "wrong" engraving , it would help to diagnose exactly where the problem arises.
    If you arent happy with how Illustrator CS2 handles the file , use Photoshop or download a freeware program like Irfanview
    http://www.irfanview.com which is way more potent than paintbrush for raster based (bitmap files)

If it's something black that is causing the problem, check the value. AI defaults to using CMYK color space and the default CMYK black in their palette is not a true rich black.