Thread: finnishing question? matching bamboo??

finnishing question? matching bamboo??

i have a built in cabinet that needs to attempt to match or be compareble to carbonized bamboo flooring? which is similar to chocalate milk color the grain pattern which really isnt grain (is striaght) with some darker joint sections. the boxes are made of birch ply and the face frames are as of now in question. thought some of sapele which is a type of mahongny. i was thinking that i could possibly tint the clear finish to give the interior of the shelf unit a sutle light brown color, is tinting a clear finish possible and what is the best choice for doing so.. or if any of you have a better idea please advise me in this endeavor.. i am at a standstill till i can find a solution.. have some time till this needs to be in place so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for any help that is offered.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

One, albeit expensive, would be to make the face frames out of bamboo lumber, which is now becoming available. I know Rockler carries some, but there are likely other more reasonable sources.

I haven't seen bamboo dimensional lumber, but I have seen 4'x8' sheets of bamboo. Last week I helped a friend who was building stairs from 4x8x3/4" sheets of bamboo. The sheets were not plywood, where there are laminates of crossing grain directions. All the grain in these sheets was going the 8' direction. It would be straightforward to rip these sheets up to make 1x2 or whatever you make your face frames with.

He got the sheets from Smith & Fong, in San Francisco. (http://www.plyboo.com/) They import the material, and I think distribute to other resellers elsewhere in the US. You might call them for leads to distributors in your area.

You might also discuss that color issue with them. The sheets I worked on were not as dark as chocolate milk.

A quick google on bamboo lumber turns up many sources--I didn't go through them to located the heat treated, but if it is common for floors, then it is at least likely for lumber. May take some hunting though.

will check it out

thanks jamie and steve for your advice, will get with the folks that are having these made and see what they want to do. got a sample of mahogony last night and it looks like it might be a possibilty as well. this flooring is a light chocalote jamie. with some darker streaks in it.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!