Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Tote?

Tool Tote?

I am taking a advanced course in wood turning next week and made a contraption to cart the various "essential" tools to the school (36" h x 26" w x 13" d). I made this from some scrap ambrosia maple and paduk I had in my wood stacks and finished the piece with shellac and wax finish. It's kind of heavy and the plan all along was to move it around with this neat little folding aluminium hand truck I have. It was fun but gluing up DT joints that big is a little bit of a race sometimes with PVA glues. I could have used plastic resin but, I figured I could get it together fast enough. Critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done Chris! Only negative.............it and it's contents aren't in my shop! I like it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looks like crap! Oversized, heavy, doesn't hold enough. Send it to me, maybe I can find a use for it.

Really looks great, nice job buddy. I alway liked ambrosia, but never seem to find time to build anything with it.

Richard

Hey Chris, That is Nice!! You did a great job and I bet all your class mates are going to be soooo jealous When you going to post pics of that screwdriver kit you turned, is that it in the drawer? Awesome Chris!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Well done Chris! Only negative.............it and it's contents aren't in my shop! I like it!
    Dang it Ken (and Richard), you beat me to my own punchline.

Great-looking tool tote, Chris. (I won't even get into the chisel envy I feel, though.)

- Vaughn

Chris,

Really like the darker dovetails against the lighter sides, great work.

Pete

Thanks guys,

Ken, I'ev seen your work and this is right on par with yours. Richard, oh the "stair master" I can only dream of the level of craftsmanship you execute in your work. Corey, damn, you have good eyes and memory. Yes that's one of the screwdrivers and I will soon post the entire collection with a critique of the kit. Vaughn, I own more tools than I know how to use so chisel envy may be premature. However, if you ever in the Nashville area you have use of all my tools. and thank you Peter for the notice of the dovetails. They both were complimentary of the design but, also made the engeneering of the piece possible.

Great looking tool tote, Myself I enjoy making my own toolboxes and totes because you can customize them to how you plan to use them. I was intriqued to hear you customized your tote to be moved via your own aluminum hand cart. Darn good idea...darn good tool tote...darn good woodworking...thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

That is one terrific tool tote! I am envious of you guys who make "shop stuff" that looks better than anything I can do. Oh well, some day, maybe.

Meanwhile, Chris, it is almost enough to make me want to get a spinny thing.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

The message is gone, so am I
    Last edited by Shelley Bolster; 10-18-2006 at 8:38 AM.

Looks great, but you really need to add a rolltop door to finish it off
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Oh Yea thats Nice!
    And some of my favorite turning wood too!
    Awesome Job Chris!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Beautiful piece. I HATE to praise flat work, but I, too, love the dovetails.

The only question I have is "It appears that the handle is all the way to the back. How is the balance? Does the bottom have a tendency to tip to the back and the front bottom edge end up pointing down? If so, is it a problem when carring it?" Oops that was several questions.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker
    Beautiful piece. I HATE to praise flat work, but I, too, love the dovetails.

The only question I have is "It appears that the handle is all the way to the back. How is the balance? Does the bottom have a tendency to tip to the back and the front bottom edge end up pointing down? If so, is it a problem when carring it?" Oops that was several questions.

Bruce
    Hi Bruce,

It's not much of a tote handle as it is a moving handle. The entire arrangement weights in empty at about 7-9 lbs by my guess and the balance is not such that you would want to carry it one handed by the handle. With tools on board it jumps up to about 35 - 40 lbs, so the handle just serves as a grab as I move it to and from the dolly I have. Its not to difficult to move short distances.

Nice design for your needs and great execution Chris!

Beautiful tote.

Frank