Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting bowl blanks round on bandsaw??

Joe,
    Here is a thread where I show how it's made and have some pictures. If you want more pictures let me know and I'll be glad to take em.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=26546&page=4

Thanks, Don! When you cut a blank, how do you start it on the blade? Or do you make sure the hole for the pin is just a little closer to the edge of the blank than the radius of the circle you're cutting?

-Joe

What I didn't show and should have is that the jig is also a sled so I slide the jig on with the bowl mounted and that starts the cut for me.Once the sled is in position then it's a matter of just rotating the bowl..

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Yes, that blade is 2 1/4" wide.....
    Cheers!
    GOOD GRIEF Stu, thats bigger than the blade on my sawmill

Guys...I'm still missing something.

Don, and all, I do understand what you're speaking of. I made and used a jig like that to cut round table tops for "flat work."

At the risk of appearing slow here. Here again is the thing I don't get - I draw a circle on the flat side so I can see where I want to bowl to come out. But when I flip the half log over to cut it out, how do I see the line where to cut.??
    So far I've just been getting close, triming the edges off and guessing clsoe to the cut line.
    I'm going to have to watch Bill's DVD again. I know he draws a circle with his patterns, but I don't remember seeing him cut out the blank.
    Thanks, Mike
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!

Mike,
    I don't even draw a circle. I just decide where I want the center to be then I drill a hole. Set it on the jig and cut my circle. The n drill a hole in the same center and I use my wrom screw to mount it on the lathe . Since I have a fairly round blank I finish trueing it on the lathe crank up the speed and go from there.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    GOOD GRIEF Stu, thats bigger than the blade on my sawmill
    Yeah, ain't it cool!!

Cuts SERIOUSLY well for resaw...

I made a BS circle jig. 2' long board about 6" wide. Routed a 1/2" groove down the length. 1/2" wide piece of oak with a screw/pin in one end. Drill small hole in center of blank to fit over screw/pin. Clamp to BS table. The relationship of the pivot screw/pin to the BS Blade (front, middle or back) proved to be critical as at the front of the BS Blade teeth, made it try to cut a decreasing spiral, located about mid point or a bit further back made it try to cut an increasing spiral. Round cardboard template nailed to the top is close enough and free-hand cut within 1/8" of the cardboard circle. Trying to get my jig exactly right was more bother than it was worth, guess I'm not willing to fuss with it a whole lot especially since my bowl blanks are cut green and sealed till I'm ready. If you want, I can post a picture.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jory
    At the risk of appearing slow here. Here again is the thing I don't get - I draw a circle on the flat side so I can see where I want to bowl to come out. But when I flip the half log over to cut it out, how do I see the line where to cut.??
    I'm going to have to watch Bill's DVD again. I know he draws a circle with his patterns, but I don't remember seeing him cut out the blank.
    Mike,

You don't have to draw a circle. I lay a round template on the wood and cut around it. It gives me a near perfect circle. Go back and look at my first two posts again and it may become more clear.

Bill G. uses a round template to draw a circle on the top of the blank in his first video. That blank had a flat top. In his second video, he demonstrates cutting around the template itself on a bark-up blank.

-Joe

Thanks for your patience...

I'm a visual kind of guy. I re-read all the post before me, there is a little clearity, the fog is lifting. I'm going to cut out some circle patterns of increasing sizes to fit my lathe. I'll just put them on the top and cut around.\ I was putting to much thought into this, it's really very straight forward.

After admitting I was slow to pick this up , I wasn't ridiculed. I now know I'm safe on this forum
    mj
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jory
    I draw a circle on the flat side so I can see where I want to bowl to come out. But when I flip the half log over to cut it out, how do I see the line where to cut.??
    That was my problem too, which is why I started this thread. Obviously there are many ways to do it, and each person thinks theres is the best . What you need to do Mike is read through this whole thread and see what sounds best to you and then do it. I've read through it and have decided to make a jig, because i'm not good at cutting freehand on the bandsaw.

Ernie could you please post a pic?! thanks. So you dont have the pin in the center of the blade off to the side?? thats what would make sense to me but thats not the way??
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Or never mind mike seems like you figured it out
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried