Thread: Art from the lathe

Art from the lathe

If it doesn't hold soup, its art. If it does, its a bowl. These were made from a trimming that the tree butchers (utility company) left. It had been trimmed many times over the years and had a lot of interesting growth. It sat in the shop for 3 months because I didn't know how I was going to cut it. HA!!! Mother nature solved that problem by opening a nice crack. The wood is Ash. The first "art" had a rotten limb that blew up during turning. It is sanded to 600 and coated with Mylands. 7" dia 2" tall. The second is sanded to 600 then wet sanded with Watco Natural and re-oiled over the course of a week then beal buffed. 8" dia and 3" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Simply AWESOME Turnings Terry! The varied figure and coloration of the wood is breathtaking! The "Tree Butchers" indeed left you a work of art, it just needed your imagination and skill to coax it out of the section of wood................which you did with excellent results. The execution and finish is beautiful........most pleasing to the eye. It is a shame that the rotted limb section "left" during the turning, but I think it adds a dimension to the bowl that is a tribute to the tree, and it's fight for survival after many improper prunings. The burl like quality is stunning, and you did it justice in the very essence of the word. Thanks for sharing your work Terry..........these are GREAT examples of your skill and dedication!

Terry,

Nice work! I really like the figure/grain pattern in the ash. The proportions of the second bowl are very nice as well. Good save on the 1st bowl. Humpty Dumpty would go back together quicker if I was turning that one!

Have you had any trouble with the 2nd bowl splitting or cracking? I'm new to bowl turning and was wondering about the thickness.

Thanks!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Very nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    If it doesn't hold soup, its art. If it does, its a bowl. . . . . . .
    Terry -

Very nice. The woodbutchers (Rod P. might take exception to that term)didn't know what they left for you. You did a good job developing it's potential.

Ted

Very nice pieces, Terry. I especially like "ash4" due to the swirl of the grain...almost marble-like.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for your kind words. I forgot to mention in the original post that these two were my first experience with microwaving green to dry. The process is very time consuming but worked pretty well. The second bowl moved and I had to true it up. Some small cracks opened up during the drying process, but I filled them with CA.

Terry

Very nice Terry! That is some big hole to have to turn around, and you did a great job! Keep up the good work.

Bill