Thread: Weekend Accomplishments.....

Weekend Accomplishments.....

Well....I'm glad to see that Keith and everyone is OK and that the creek is back up and running. Due to me being oncall over the weekend and working from 7AM Friday morning until 23:00 hours Sunday night and after getting only 8 hours sleep during that entire time, I did NOT get any shop time. I hope to get some shop time this week though.

What did YOU get done over this past weekend?

Best of weeks.......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

An "Away Game" this weekend

Well, nothing got done at home as I was in Denver all week on business and being the good corporate citizen I am, I opted for the Saturday night stay to save about a grand in airfare. That being said, Saturday still involved woodworking as one of my coworkers is building cabinets for his own kitchen remodel and I helped him with the milling of his face frame material, 'splained how to use his new pocket screw jig and helped him use his jointer. (A challenge as it is one of those small Delta "benchtop" units)

I do have to say that it's been a very long time since I worked in a shop without dust collection and I also have to say I didn't enjoy that one bit. Cherry normally doesn't bother me, but there was so much dust that I had to walk out of the shop a few times. It was amazing at how much of the fine stuff was coming off the blade of that saw! The brewskies afterward sort of made up for it...

This week and coming weekend should include finishing the tile backsplash in the kitchen and completion of the final glass-doored book/display case for the same. That only leaves incidental painting, etc., to complete the whole kitchen project so I can thankfully move on to all those things on my "list". Finally.

Below is a picture of me "supervising" while Larry was ripping some stock on Saturday afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-22-2003 at 2:05 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

mmmmm.....Lessee..

Does the yard count as an accomplishment? Then I over did it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Here is a link to my weekend acomplishment:

Isabel damage pictures

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I finished and installed the built-in stereo cabinet. The client was thoroughly impressed. But like a bone head, I left my digital at home so I currently have no shots of it. I will try and go by and take a shot so I can post.

Went the Plaza Art Fair on Saturday. It is a big event where people put some serious $$$'s on items they made. For the most part, I don't get too interested. I do really enjoy the folks who do metal and wood projects. Some nice turning booths and some furniture and of course boxes (bandsaw and standard). I am sad to admit that my wife found a box she really liked, so I decided to support a fellow dust maker and give him $75. She liked some others, but that was the most I was going to spend for something I can make. It was out of birdseye maple, purple heart and redwood burl.

Finally, I spent a little time turning a shallow bowl. I took pics and hope to get them on SWC tonight. Nothing fancy, but I sure liked it. Not sure of the wood, but I think it is some sort of soft maple with some burl figures in it. I let you all decide when I do get it posted. The rest of the weekend it rained, so no real time spent doing anything else but watching football.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen

Isabel damage pictures

Thanks

Richard
    Richard,

WOW, boy am I glad you were not hurt. I couldn't quite make out the numbers on the check, but it looked like a lot of numbers Looks almost identical to what happened to house just up the street from me.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen
    Thanks

Richard
    I can see why my brother-in-law in Falls Church is talking about the constant whining of chain saws...he probably heard them at your house! (He had a big oak come down in the back yard of his home on Executive Ave. It missed structures, but really whacked the neighbor's patio wall to "smitherines"!) Since he works for the park service or something like that, he's been busy with the cleanup constantly.

I'm glad that the damage is limited to "things", rather than persons at your house. But that's still not the most productive way to get a pile of firewood...considering the colateral damage.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-22-2003 at 3:33 PM.

The picture of the check might be misleading. It was a check written TO the guy who put the tarps on the house. So not that many zeros but it is out of pocket that hopefuly the insurance will cover.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Survived the hurricane

Basically my weekend consisted of hurricane clean-up and a trip to church!

Fortunately our damage was minor compared to Richard's.

Ted

Moving next month. Need I say more.....?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

The Weekend was busy here also. Cleaned out my Garage..........which was no small chore. I HAVE to quit bringing "Stuff" home! Finished up a Slot Car Box and started on another for a couple of return customers from NC. Also, managed to get to my Folks house and cut up a small European Hedge Maple Log that I will be turning sometime soon. The small log was about 5' long and approx. 10" in diameter. I also "scoped out" the Box Elder tree that is standing dead, and it will be coming down Saturday, weather permitting. Hopefully........HOPEFULLY, it will have some nice streaking, but if not, it should be fun to turn anyway. We also have our eye on a large Black Cherry that lost a big limb a year ago, and it would be best if it just came down. I know what you're thinkin'............but HONEST, it really should come down! My Brother has some very large Maple that he hasn't split yet, so I will be nosing around with my Stihl in hand at his place one of these days too. Got to stock up for the long winter, don't ya?

Disassembled a braced comb back Windsor and managed to finish rushing the seat. Looks good. Now I must reassemble it but I am going to replace the alignment dowels for the braced back slider piece with square drive screws to make it easier for the next guy to rush the seat.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.